CCleaner Browser

Reaction score
I just came across this today. Anyone installed it and tried yet?

I enjoy the simplicity of CCleaner and have been using it for many years now.
I may give this a go

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
It looks as if they just used Chrome Browser's open source code and built on top of that. Am I right to assume this is another Chrome Browser with some added security features?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It looks as if they just used Chrome Browser's open source code and built on top of that. Am I right to assume this is another Chrome Browser with some added security features?
Yup, looks like that's what they've done!

It also looks like new versions of CCleaner are trying to install this browser by default... very sneaky! They're branding it as a CCleaner browser so they can try and bundle a major piece of software with a popular existing product. Seems to go against the very grain of what the software is about!!!

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Yup, looks like that's what they've done!

It also looks like new versions of CCleaner are trying to install this browser by default... very sneaky!

Yes, they always used to try to get you to install Chrome and you had to remember to untick the box. Never liked those tactics.

Anyway, I've given up on CCleaner now and just use the inbuilt Windows system to get rid of junk. :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
It also looks like new versions of CCleaner are trying to install this browser by default... very sneaky! They're branding it as a CCleaner browser so they can try and bundle a major piece of software with a popular existing product. Seems to go against the very grain of what the software is about!!!

This is something I really do hate. I've lost count of the amount of times that someone has asked my how X piece of software has ended up on their PC/laptop without them installing it.

I would also just say that regarding CCleaner... It really isn't necessary with Win 10 these days. :)

Reaction score
It also looks like new versions of CCleaner are trying to install this browser by default... very sneaky!

I just updated CCleaner and accidentally installed CCleaner with default settings and it didn't install any other apps.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I just updated CCleaner and accidentally installed CCleaner with default settings and it didn't install any other apps.

That's good to know! I wonder if it only does it with new installs - I saw a lot of people complaining about it being bundled when I had a Google.

Just to see what happens, I did a fresh download of CCleaner and was shown this on installation:

Capture.PNG

It looks like the one I downloaded was trying to bundle default Chrome (not the CCleaner browser) with the installation.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Yup, that's exactly how I remember it, Ian. Install Google Chrome bottom left.

Reaction score
That's good to know! I wonder if it only does it with new installs - I saw a lot of people complaining about it being bundled when I had a Google.
I guess it's because I already use Chrome.

Ask a Question