CCleaner Problem

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Is it just me?

CCleaner.JPG

This has been happening a lot recently. The above is the result of a cleaning session but before the cleaning took place it stated that there was 168MB to be removed and what did I get? - 8.86MB removed.

All the MS Edge and IE stuff has been skipped despite them all being ticked in the list on the left. :confused: I uninstalled CCleaner even though it was the latest version and did a fresh download from File Hippo but I still get the same result.

So, is anyone else having the same problem? And, does anyone know how to resolve this?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
That usually means that it can't clean due to the program being open, or rather it thinking they are open.

Got anything that might have IE/Edge running within it? What AV?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
As far as I'm aware nothing running but I always get a message saying
"Internet Explorer needs to be closed to clean the Cookies" so maybe there is something running. I will look a little further.

I use Kaspersky AV.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Hmm.... no further forward here. The problem seemed to follow installing of the latest version of CC so I uninstalled and then reinstalled the older version but things are the same.

With every operation I am told that IE needs closing and do I want CC to close it so I click "Yes" but it seems that it will not close. So something must be running constantly even when IE is not in use. How would I determine what is running?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Ahah ! Think I might have sorted this. I finally found a Piriform (makers of CC) Forum and it seems this is a common problem. The answer is to go into Options and untick Enable System Monitoring. Then all is well and cleaning is restored. :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ah, I've never used the system monitoring tbh, good work finding the culprit!

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Yeah, it seems that several other things have speeded up a bit too. :)

Ask a Question