Windows XP Cant Surf apart from home page

Reaction score
I am using IE6 on XPsp2. Opeinging a web page cant take ten minutes, if at all apart from whatever page is is set up as the home page. For instance if home page is Google dot com then I can open that and using the seach bar I can surf the internet. If the home page is bbc do co uk then I can only surf links from that site. If I type in an address most of the time it hangs, ifI click on a link it get me there? I have run Nortons and Adaware with no luck. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
sounds like you may have a bad case of spyware, run spybot search and destroy

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Spyware would be my guess too - can you use "system restore" to a time before this problem happened?

Reaction score
steve251 said:
I am using IE6 on XPsp2. Opeinging a web page cant take ten minutes, if at all apart from whatever page is is set up as the home page. For instance if home page is Google dot com then I can open that and using the seach bar I can surf the internet. If the home page is bbc do co uk then I can only surf links from that site. If I type in an address most of the time it hangs, ifI click on a link it get me there? I have run Nortons and Adaware with no luck. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Hi I have already tried system restore withno luck and I am in the process of downloading Spybot- I did previously find the save.exe spyware on the machine (its not mine) and sucessfully removed it. will keep you posted but please keep them ideas coming in - thanks

Reaction score
No spybot didnt find anything. It is really weird. I have tried it both on the internal lan and a wireless connection and on someone elses lan - still the same.

Reaction score
Hi - Thanks for your advice guys - In over 30 years I have never formatted a hard drive to resolve a problem. I still have the problem and have also flushed the dns using ipconfig and have cleared the cache, cookies and history without luck. I have come to the conclusion that it is probably more likely that IE6 is corrupt. I have got around the problem by installing firefox which is better anyway but not a solution. If anyone has any ideas or comes across this in a future life let me know. Thanks guys

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
steve251 said:
Hi - Thanks for your advice guys - In over 30 years I have never formatted a hard drive to resolve a problem. I still have the problem and have also flushed the dns using ipconfig and have cleared the cache, cookies and history without luck. I have come to the conclusion that it is probably more likely that IE6 is corrupt. I have got around the problem by installing firefox which is better anyway but not a solution. If anyone has any ideas or comes across this in a future life let me know. Thanks guys
30 years ago you could not "format" a computer ... ;)

Why spend three days tring to 'fix' something that can be done in under 2 hours? The DATA is backed-up, yes?

:D

Ask a Question