can't send/receive e-mails: pop up appears asking for user/passwor

Non-techy comuter person

Hi,

All of a sudden when I open Windows Mail I get a pop up appear saying
"Please varify that your user name and password are correct"

It asks me to enter a username and password. When I do this it comes back
incorrect and I get this message:

"Account: 'pop.ntlworld.com', Server: 'pop.ntlworld.com', Protocol: POP3,
Server Response: '-ERR a user name MUST be entered', Port: 110, Secure(SSL):
No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC91"

I have never had this before. It means that I can no longer send or receive
any messages. Please help. I am not computer friendly and have no idea how to
solve this problem. Thanks in advance.

Gary VanderMolen

First, test your password by logging in to webmail:
http://webmail.ntlworld.com
If that works, it proves you have the correct username and password.
A likely reason for the username/password failing is account corruption.
One thing you should try as a possible quick fix is to delete that corrupted
mail account, restart Windows Mail, then recreate that account.

If that doesn't fix it, more drastic measures will have to be taken.
Which antivirus are you running?
As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus must be turned off,
although that may not be sufficient to eliminate all bad effects.
In a worst case scenario, your antivirus may need to be uninstalled.

If turning off the email scanning function does not resolve your problem,
consider upgrading to Windows Live Mail, because it is less prone to
suffering bad effects from overly aggressive antivirus programs.
http://download.live.com/wlmail

Email scanning in any antivirus must be disabled, for reasons
explained here:

mac

"Non-techy comuter person" <Non-techy comuter

All of a sudden when I open Windows Mail I get a pop up appear saying
"Please varify that your user name and password are correct"

It asks me to enter a username and password. When I do this it comes back
incorrect and I get this message:

"Account: 'pop.ntlworld.com', Server: 'pop.ntlworld.com', Protocol: POP3,
Server Response: '-ERR a user name MUST be entered', Port: 110,
Secure(SSL):
No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC91"

I have never had this before. It means that I can no longer send or
receive
any messages. Please help. I am not computer friendly and have no idea how
solve this problem. Thanks in advance.

This type of problem is generally caused by a 3rd party application that is
set to scan mail for virus or spam.

First off, when you open WM click cancel on the pop up that asks for user
name etc.
Then go to the Tools menu>options>General Tab, disable send and receive at
start up>apply>OK.
Now go to Tools menu again>accounts>select your account>properties
button>Server tab, enter the correct password and username>apply>OK.

Now hit the send and receive button on the top toolbar, if it fails again
never click OK, always click Cancel or your logon details will be wiped out
again, please post back with any error message that WM gives you after you
hit cancel.

liftman

I have the same problem. I've tested my account and I can send emails but I
have not received any messges for the last 3 days since this pop up appeared.
I originally created my account years ago under freeserve and although I
know my username I do not remember my password.

There was a windows update on 30th September - Windows Defender KB915597
(def 1.67.136.0) does this have anything to do with the problem?

Also, after the popup fails a flag appears which states "email scanner
pop.ispmail.ntl.com". I understand from the replies below that email scanner
is no longer required. How do I switch this off?

I hope you can help because I do not want to delete my account as presumably
I will lose all my email messages?

regards,
JP

Zee

Hi,

I'm having this problem as well but I assume that it was because of my
iPhone. So in order to access my emails from my laptop I turn my phone off
and the problem goes away. I'm a non-techy computer person as well but this
worked for me.

TC

I've suddenly got the same problem. I have re setup my account but it still
keeps happening.

Gary VanderMolen

Deleting your account in Windows Mail will not cause you to lose any messages.
If you don't remember your password you will have to contact your mail provider.