problems receiving e mails - help!!

Sugary1too

Hi I have suddenly become unable to send and receive e mails.

I keep getting a "Windows Security" box pop up asking for a user name and
password. I am unable to get rid of this box, however my password is correct
through my virgin media access to my blue yonder mail account.

I keep getting the following error message:-

Account: 'POP3.blueyonder.co.uk', Server: 'POP3.blueyonder.co.uk',
Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Protocol error.', Port: 110,
Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC91

Can you help?

Viv

Hi, Yes I've just started getting this today as well. I've entered my user
name and password over and over again, but the box keeps popping back up and
it won't let me send or receive emails. I'm getting the same error message.
I wondered whether it was anything to do with the Virgin updating that was
going on with Blue yonder?
Account: 'pop3.blueyonder.co.uk', Server: 'pop3.blueyonder.co.uk',
Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Invalid Backend.', Port: 995,
Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC91
Let's hope that someone knows the answer to this one.
Viv

Viv

I've just looked on the Virgin site and they are posting this [-

THIS JUST POSTED FROM MARK WILKIN
Email Outage Update *28/07/10*..on 28-07-2010 15:02

We'd like to apologise for the outage currently affecting our email systems,
this has been caused by equipment faults which have occured while we've been
replacing equipment responsible for yesterday's email outage. The outage
affects everyone trying to access their email via an email client on all our
email domains i.e. ntlworld.com, virginmedia.com, blueyonder.co.uk and
virgin.net.
So perhaps our problem is just temporary....?

Sugary1too

Viv

Thank you for the info. Lets hope it is temporary - I have ben trying to
sort this out for most of the day, I was beginning to think I had picked up
some sort of virus, as it happened overnight
--
Sugary

Email Outage Update *28/07/10*..on 28-07-2010 15:02

Viv said:
Hi, Yes I've just started getting this today as well. I've entered my user
name and password over and over again, but the box keeps popping back up and
it won't let me send or receive emails. I'm getting the same error message.
I wondered whether it was anything to do with the Virgin updating that was
going on with Blue yonder?
Account: 'pop3.blueyonder.co.uk', Server: 'pop3.blueyonder.co.uk',
Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Invalid Backend.', Port: 995,
Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC91
Let's hope that someone knows the answer to this one.
Viv

PropRod

Chances are that it's your antivirus program. Disable it and try to receive
mail. If it works, you'll need to tweak the settings in the antivirus
program. I use Avast! and I just turned mail scanning off completely
because of this problem.

Sugary1too

Thanks will try taking off the anti virus. I have managed to get rid of the
security box but still getting the error message.

I was hoping this was a temporary fault, but doesnt look like it, as its now
been 3 days. Having to access e mails via virgin media site : )

Sugary1too

NAhh ..still not able to recieve any emails:

Still getting error message:-

Account: 'POP3.blueyonder.co.uk', Server: 'POP3.blueyonder.co.uk', Protocol:
POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Protocol error.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No,
Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC18

Any suggestions?? : (

Gary VanderMolen

Try deleting that account, restart Windows Mail, then recreate the account.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)