Can't resize/move active desktop content - WinXP Pro - Not locked

Noozer

Can anyone make ANY suggestions as to why I can't move or resize the HTML
documents on my Active Desktop? When mousing over the content the
borders/titlebar does not appear as it should. The "Lock Desktop Items" is
NOT checkmarked.

This is WinXP Pro with SP2.

Thanks!!!

Noozer

My admin? That would be me...

I looked through the policy MMC but didn't see anything that won't allow me
to change desktop content.

Which MMC and subfolder would I find this policy?

Thx

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Your admin set policies preventing it. Ask them why.

David Candy

Under Active Desktop which is under Desktop (in User - Admin Templates). Where would you expect to find it?

Noozer

Ok.. found it but nothing is configured - and making changes didn't alter
the behaviour I'm seeing.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Under Active Desktop which is under Desktop (in User - Admin Templates).
Where would you expect to find it?

David Candy

Look here in the registry
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer (and look under HKLM too).

GP sets registry entries. Nothing stops one setting them direct.

Noozer

No relevant entries here...

I appreciate the help! Thanks!

Noozer said:
Can anyone make ANY suggestions as to why I can't move or resize the HTML
documents on my Active Desktop? When mousing over the content the
borders/titlebar does not appear as it should. The "Lock Desktop Items" is
NOT checkmarked.

This is WinXP Pro with SP2.

I was able to repair this issue... It was pretty simple actually.

Open RegEdit and go to the following key:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Settings\{72267F6A-A6F9-11D0-BC94-00C04FB67863}

You will find a value named "Version". On my PC the value was "*"... I
changed this to "1" and closed regedit. Now I can move and resize my active
desktop content without a problem. You MAY need to refresh the desktop
before the change is applied.

Hullo Noozer

I have had the same problem with my active desktop.

I have tried out your fix but but could not finthe key mentioned.

I have created the key and set version to 1 as suggested.

This did not work.

I am wondering if the Flags subkey needs resetting.

Regards

Joined
Nov 15, 2011
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
for anyone who also has this problem, via the MMC actions described here I ran into a perfect solution by accident via a complete other route! The only thing I did was deleting one regkey (export it first for backup) which seems based on an spurious Flash update. You can find all information here: http://www.microtom.net/?p=681