can't rename pics

Reaction score
Please forgive me that I am almost totally computer-illiterate! So if I don't use the right terminology, excuse me.

My daughter has put lots of digital photos onto my computer, and I am trying to get them in order, by naming them and numbering them. But it seems an impossible task - I have all the pics up as thumbnails, and I call them by a number and name - eg 01 Charlotte aged 16; 15 villa at Mallorca etc. But occasionally I type in the wrong number or name, and when I try to change it, nothing happens. An error message flashes up saying, 'we cannot change the name of this file as it already exists'. But this is AFTER I have typed in a new number and/or name, but it retains the old one.

Also, despite all my attempts to get the icons in the correct order, they just seem to go all over the place, in any haphazard order. This is driving me mad.

Please help!!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Can you try renaming the file to any random word, just to ensure there isn't a filename the same? If you press F5 to refresh the file view, do any of the names change?

Reaction score
needs fixing said:
Please forgive me that I am almost totally computer-illiterate! So if I don't use the right terminology, excuse me.

My daughter has put lots of digital photos onto my computer, and I am trying to get them in order, by naming them and numbering them. But it seems an impossible task - I have all the pics up as thumbnails, and I call them by a number and name - eg 01 Charlotte aged 16; 15 villa at Mallorca etc. But occasionally I type in the wrong number or name, and when I try to change it, nothing happens. An error message flashes up saying, 'we cannot change the name of this file as it already exists'. But this is AFTER I have typed in a new number and/or name, but it retains the old one.

Also, despite all my attempts to get the icons in the correct order, they just seem to go all over the place, in any haphazard order. This is driving me mad.

Please help!!
pls check whether those files read only or not

Reaction score
Thanks Ian and shinaz for your replies. Yes, I have tried everything - calling the files all sorts of random things - just numbers, totally different words etc. But to no avail. The same title that I ORIGINALLY called the pic keeps returning every time I type over it after pressing, 'rename the file'.

The files aren't read only as I managed to change quite a few titles till this problem occured. Argggh - frustrating.

Reaction score
Instead of viewing as thumbnails you may want to view them as a List. From the menu select View and then List. I recall having a problem once where it said my files where in use, which was in thumbnail mode. I am not sure it will help you, but it is worth a try.

Lily

Reaction score
Thanks Lily - will try this. Am having more trouble now with thumbnails - some pics are duplicated as thumbnails - ie the same pic is shown as the one next to it, but when I click on it, it is a different photo to the thumbnail! Can't understand this and it is very annoying.

Reaction score
File Renaming in XP

A little tip I picked up for multiple file renaming in XP - might be of some use to you in the future..

Here's How:

1. Open My Computer to the folder containing all the files you want to rename.
  2. Select the group of files that you wish to rename. Use Shift or Ctrl to select additional files.
  3. Right click on the first file in the list and choose Rename from the context menu.
  4. Type a new name for the file, then hit enter.
Tips:

1. The first file will take on the name you type, all other selected files will append a serial number enclosed in parenthesis to the base name.
  2. If you typed 'file.jpg', the second file will be named 'file (1).jpg', and so on with increasing numbers.
  3. Unless you include the number, the first file will not get numbered. When sorting by name, the unnumbered file will sort to the bottom of the list. To avoid this, include the starting number in the name you type. The numbers will go up from your starting number. Remember to include the space and parenthesis.
  4. You may not want to use this method to rename files that you plan to upload to the Web as it puts spaces in the file name. Names with spaces are generally not Web-friendly.

Reaction score
R Click on photo and then Left click on 'EDIT" name photo e.g. "Charlottes Birthday" Save in "MY PICTURESS". When you want them in alaphabetical order R Click on vacant space in "My Pictures" then L Cllick 0n "view by name" or similar.

Reaction score
I hope you don't mind my jumping in here but it's just to say that all image tasks are far easier to achieve in a dedicated image program. For all this type of work I use ACDSee Pro but if you don't want to spend money then might I suggest FASTSTONE IMAGE VIEWER

This does almost as much as ACDSee and is quite intuitive to use. Good luck.

Reaction score
ukJAG said:
A little tip I picked up for multiple file renaming in XP - might be of some use to you in the future..

Here's How:
  1. Open My Computer to the folder containing all the files you want to rename.
  2. Select the group of files that you wish to rename. Use Shift or Ctrl to select additional files.
  3. Right click on the first file in the list and choose Rename from the context menu.
  4. Type a new name for the file, then hit enter.
Tips:
  1. The first file will take on the name you type, all other selected files will append a serial number enclosed in parenthesis to the base name.
  2. If you typed 'file.jpg', the second file will be named 'file (1).jpg', and so on with increasing numbers.
  3. Unless you include the number, the first file will not get numbered. When sorting by name, the unnumbered file will sort to the bottom of the list. To avoid this, include the starting number in the name you type. The numbers will go up from your starting number. Remember to include the space and parenthesis.
  4. You may not want to use this method to rename files that you plan to upload to the Web as it puts spaces in the file name. Names with spaces are generally not Web-friendly.

Very clever thanks for that it was something i didn't know.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I'll second that thought . Just tried the tip and its a snip to re-name stuff .
user.gif
:thumb:

Ask a Question