cant reload primary and secondary ide channel drivers

hi, booted up one day to find i have no cd/dvd drive. looking up the
device manager i saw that both primary and secondary ide channels had
an exclamation mark on the saying :

this device is not working properly because windows can not load the
drivers required for this device (code 31)

i tryed rolling back the drivers, then i tryed to uninstall them and
reboot, also tryed to update them and installing them afresh using the
motherboard cd(asus m2npv-mx - nvidia 430 chipset) nothing helped.
the bios recognise the drive, the drives work fine when i run a linux
LIVE CD in them and they boot cp home cd when booting through the cd.
its just in windows that i cant see them
i tryed removing the upper and lower filters in the registry, and now
i am fresh out of ideas....
any one think he/she know the problem ?
i'd love to get some help with this.
many thanks

ok, got it fixed.
hope this might help some one else, i went to the properties of the ide
channels,both primary and secondary, and looked for the drivers it was using
i then went to c:\windows\system32\drivers and removed the driver
(viPrt.something) then uninstalled the channels andrebooted, on boot up the
channels reinstalled andnow all is working
thanks for the attention

Jim Macklin

What fix?

<Mike> wrote in message
| Been searching for this fix for a while. Was just about
to reinstall windows.