Can't (re)install a printer! Nix, Nada, Nothin!!!!!!!

G

HELP!!!! This A.M. while while doing local work in MS Word, got my first blue screen of death.....fortunately it rebooted. I later tried to print a doc and received the message I had to install a printer. Went to Add a Printer, received the msg the operation could not be completed. No printer icons were present. Inserted Lexmark X125 printer CD and without option, it proceeded to uninstall the program. Went into the CD and ran install, same thing, it uninstalled without options. Ran a complete Norton AV scan, 0 findings, Ad-Aware, Spybot, msconfig, regedit..........17 month old Laptop Toshiba, 1415-S173, XP, SP1 and all updates, NAV and Security w/ all updates, 17 month old Lexmark X125 printer. Up to this point I've been working error free and all other systems / programs are normal with the exception of program print options, which surely must lie somewhere in XP(?). I've been at it all day and I'm sure it's right in front of me but.....Thanks in advance. Bill

C

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Quickest thing to use is System Restore and go back to yesterday or a point
in time (preferably the most recent that works) where everything was
functioning correctly.

If that doesn't work, it's a Lexmark. Disconnect the printer and follow
Bruce Sanderson's instructions on how to COMPLETELY remove it.... see his
special section on Lexmark printers.

http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm

After cleaning, reboot, download a new set of printer drivers from the
Lexmark website (www.lexmark.com) and install the software. Do NOT
reconnect the printer until the software tells you to do so.

Cari
www.corbright.com

Ask a Question