cant play a win95 game on xp

darkstarr73

i have bought a win95 pc game, and cant play it on win
xp. is there anything i can do to enable me to play
it????? ta

Ty

Hello,

You can run the game in Compatibility Mode, which you
turn on by right-clicking on the game in question, choose
Properties then click on the Compatibility Tab. You can
choose under which type of Windows you want the program
to run under.

Ty

Jimmy S.

Hi Darkstar73,

I'm glad you asked. Compatibility mode should enable you to play it. :)

To install a program using Windows XP's Compatibility Mode, hold
down SHIFT as you insert the game CD, use My Computer to browse
to the setup program, and then skip down to step 1 in the list below:

To run an installed program using Windows XP's Compatibility Mode,
first right click the program and "Send To..." / Desktop (create shortcut).

1.. Right click on the shortcut to the program.
2.. Click on Properties.
3.. Click on the Compatibility tab.
4.. Click on Run this program in compatibility mode and select one of these:
a.. Windows 95
b.. Windows 98
c.. Windows NT 4
d.. Windows 2000
5.. Under Display settings, check mark the mode that you think that is best:
a.. Run in 256 colors.
b.. Run in 640 X 480 screen resolution.
c.. Disable visual themes.

Click on Apply.Click on Ok.Double click on the program.

Of course, let's not forget to check for any patches or updates for that game.
A good place to look is: http://www.fileplanet.com/section.aspx?s=174&v=90002

If you'd like to learn more information about compatibility mode, you can click the
link in the Compatibility tab that says Learn more about program compatibility

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

| i have bought a win95 pc game, and cant play it on win
| xp. is there anything i can do to enable me to play
| it????? ta

darkstarr73

i got my game to work, but the sound is awful, what can i
do?
[...]

Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx? scid=FH;[LN];gms
Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite:
http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx? scid=sz;en-us;top

"darkstarr73" <[email protected]>
wrote in message [email protected]...

Jimmy S.

Hi darkstarr73,

I knew compatibility mode would help! Thanks for the feedback.

Try updating your sound drivers, or treat that game as a DOS game.

When a game is a DOS game, it could work using compatibility mode:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=292533 or by using the Multiboot
bootdisk from: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~lpcd/downloads.html
and always check at fileplanet.com to see if there's a patch available.

With DOSBOX you can emulate a DOS computer on your XP desktop:
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/information.php Or try MS Virtual PC:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/virtualpc/downloads/trial.asp
which allows you to install DOS or to run any operating system inside XP.

If you prefer to explore other advanced methods, here are two excellent
tutorials I've found on the subject: http://www.dosgames.com/xphints.php
and: http://home.earthlink.net/~angeldancer27/XpGameList.htm :)