can't open program in normal (sizeable) window!

Jack Folliard

2nd post - help, please:

Somehow I've lost the ability to open via a shortcut a program in a normal
(and, thus, sizeable) window. The shortcut is set up OK - in the properties
window, "normal window" appears in the "Run:" box.
When I click on the shortcut, it always opens the window minimized - then I
have to right-click the task bar icon and click on "maximize" to get the
program to run. While running maximized, when I click on the upper right
hand corner's "Restore down" button - it minimizes to the taskbar.

Bottom line, I can't get it to open in a normal window.

Jack

David Candy

It's most likely Normal but off screen. Use the system menu (Alt + Space) and keyboard to move. Hint most programs hide down and/or right (cos they're positive numbers), few hide up or left (cos they're negative).

You can try r/c the taskbar and choosing Cascade. Depending on the Window type it may fix.

Also the window may be 0 size. Cascade will fix this one for most Window types. Use the System Menu to check size (use right and down directions first - the positive/negative thing).

When using arrow keys it is the first arrow key pressed on that plane that determines the border that is being adjusted. If the first arrow pressed is left that selects the left border of a window and subsequent left or right arrows will move the left border left or right.

Jack Folliard

thanks but I'm still confused - I'm using WinXP - I have the program
running - should I try these fixes while it is maximized (the only way I can
now view it)? or minimized to the taskbar?

I tried Alt-spacebar and it popped up the system menu, I then clicked "Move"
and I got that 4 directional arrow cursor but didn't know what to do next.

When I first start the program, (shortcut is set to "normal") it starts
minimized to the taskbar - the only way I can see it is to r/c the taskbar
icon and click maximize!!?

sorry but I'm sort of new at this stuff.

Jack

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
It's most likely Normal but off screen. Use the system menu (Alt + Space)
and keyboard to move. Hint most programs hide down and/or right (cos they're
positive numbers), few hide up or left (cos they're negative).

You can try r/c the taskbar and choosing Cascade. Depending on the Window
type it may fix.

Also the window may be 0 size. Cascade will fix this one for most Window
types. Use the System Menu to check size (use right and down directions
first - the positive/negative thing).

When using arrow keys it is the first arrow key pressed on that plane that
determines the border that is being adjusted. If the first arrow pressed is
left that selects the left border of a window and subsequent left or right
arrows will move the left border left or right.

Jack Folliard

I DID IT! kept moving the mouse around while trying different system menu
items such as size and move - all of the sudden I must have hit the right
spot and it pulled in from the left side of the screen! amazing and
THANKS!