can't open multiple instances of IE

Since Monday, I have been unable to open multiple instances of IE. Whenever
I attempt to open the browser, it simply overwrites the existing browser
window. I did not make any changes over the weekend, so I don't know what's
different, nor do I know where to look.

It is only happening on this machine. My other machine that is connected to
the internet via the same network can still open multiple windows.

Also, when I link to a new window, it is automatically closing the initial
window, so I cannot go Back, but always have to reopen the browser.

I am running Windows XP, and am up-to-date. I did question if the latest
updates might have caused this, but those were done more than a week ago, and
this problem is new as of this week.

Thanks.

Don Varnau

Hi,
From IE> Tools> Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing> uncheck "Reuse windows
for launching shortcuts."

And... you may have a toolbar or program running which is blocking
pop-up windows- something like Yahoo Companion, Google toolbar, MSN toolbar,
etc.
Yahoo Companion is a very common cause. Uninstalling the Yahoo Toolbar is
the cure.

If you're sure that another program isn't causing this, these links should
help.
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/IEFAQ.htm Tips #21 & 46
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679
http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/nolinks.htm