Can't open maximized - access denied

With IE6 & XP, I right-click the "e" in bottom task bar, properties, and want
to select "open maximized". It's set at normal now. I get an error message:
Unable to save changes to 'Launch Outlook Express.lnk' Access is denied.

I know of other ways to get it to open maximized, but why am I getting this
message? If I don't have access to my home PC, who does?!

Jan Il

Hi Hank :)

Are you logged on as Administrator when you try this? It may be that your
User rights will not allow you to make any such changes.

Hope this helps.

Jan :)
MS MVP/Windows - Internet Explorer
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious

Replies posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.
How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

I just turn on the computer in the morning like I always have. Microsoft,
Gateway, & SBC provided telephone support in the last few days solving other
problems and may have done something that now causes this. What do I have to
do to regain access so I can make these kinds of changes?

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE

Hank said:
I just turn on the computer in the morning like I always have. Microsoft,
Gateway, & SBC provided telephone support in the last few days solving
other
problems and may have done something that now causes this. What do I have
do to regain access so I can make these kinds of changes?

Start | Control Panel | User Accounts
Is your account an Administrator or a Limited account?

Jan Il

Hi Hank :)

The SBC Yahoo has been the cause of various problems, and I have no idea of
what may have caused the problem due to other changes.

Try this,

Go to Start, find the blue E for the Internet Explorer on the left side and
drag it to your desktop. If it is not on the front panel, go to All Programs
and look for it on that window and drag it to your desktop. Use that to
open the Internet and see what happens. See if it opens IE maximized.

Did you try to make the change from the Administrator log on? If it let you
do that as Administrator, you can add your User name to the Security via
the IE Icon which may then allow you rights to make the change with your
User log on.

Hope this helps.

Jan :)
MS MVP/Windows - Internet Explorer
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious

Replies posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.
How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Thanks Frank for showing me where to check my User Accounts. It did have me
as the Administrator and the Guest Account was off.

So I deleted the "e" from my lower left task bar and tried Jan Il's advice
to: "Go to Start, find the blue E for the Internet Explorer on the left side
and drag it to your desktop." There were "blue e's" for both Internet
Explorer and iexplore.exe. I dragged the one for iexplore.exe directly to my
lower left task bar. Now it opens maximized and it lets me change Properties
for whether it should open in a normal or maximized window (Ironically, it
ignores what I specify and opens maximized now regardless of what I
specify!). It sure is frustrating software.

PA Bear

With IE6 & XP, I right-click the "e" in bottom task bar, properties, and
want to select "open maximized". It's set at normal now. I get an error
message: Unable to save changes to 'Launch Outlook Express.lnk' Access
is denied.

Sounds like you were right-clicking on the OE shortcut, not the IE shortcut.
...Now it opens maximized and it lets
me change Properties for whether it should open in a normal or maximized
window (Ironically, it ignores what I specify and opens maximized now
regardless of what I specify!).

The size of the last window closed governs the size of the next window
opened in most Windows applications, Hank.