Can't move XP backup file from ME to XP

Reaction score
Short version: I can't move a backup file from ME to XP after XP reinstall. File is also locked internally in ME system, except in safe mode. I get access denied message.
Long version: Had to repair my XP as win update didn’t work. Repair refused to install all files - so I had to reinstall (as one does). I have a main computer with Win XP and a second computer with Win ME, that I use for storage of backups. I use Windows Backup Utility to back up XP machine. After reinstall I can't access the backup file in the ME system, either through backup utility or network, I get "Cannot copy..." "Access denied" "Make sure ….". I get the same message when trying to move backup files locally in ME system or trying to make a .rar file. In Safe Mode, however, I can move the backup file and I can make .rar file. It's a 14 hour job though to convert the file (4,2 GB). Right clicking the file in ME produces a "general" tab, and an additional “Sharing” tab when clicking folder. Folders are Shared. I can move or copy (local and in network) any other file from ME to XP machine, even from the same folder, except the backup files. I guess I need to get the file to the XP system to take ownership, but I can’t get the file moved.
Does anybody have a remedy for the problem? Milli.

Ask a Question