Windows XP SP3 Restore Problem

S

silkunicorn

Hello,

My desktop with Windows XP SP3 just crashed after Microsoft Update on Tuesday. Luckily I have a backup in my external drive.

I have reinstalled XP and now I tried to do a restore from the backup file. Do I need to create the SAME user account before I can do the restore.

I haven't done that yet, as now there's no user account. When I did the restore, it said it had processed 29000 files but I couldn't find it anywhere.

So my questions are:

1. Do I need to create the SAME user account first?
2. Do I use "Same Location" option, if I do, will the files/folders be on my current desktop?

Any suggestions and/or comments are much appreciated.

Thank you.

P

philo 

Hello,

My desktop with Windows XP SP3 just crashed after Microsoft Update on Tuesday. Luckily I have a backup in my external drive.

I have reinstalled XP and now I tried to do a restore from the backup file. Do I need to create the SAME user account before I can do the restore.

I haven't done that yet, as now there's no user account. When I did the restore, it said it had processed 29000 files but I couldn't find it anywhere.

So my questions are:

1. Do I need to create the SAME user account first?
2. Do I use "Same Location" option, if I do, will the files/folders be on my current desktop?

Any suggestions and/or comments are much appreciated.

Thank you.

You do need to use the identical profile and the same drive letter.

S

silkunicorn

philo 於 2013å¹´3月14日星期四UTC-5下åˆ2時15分55秒寫é“:
Thank you for your reply.

When you said "identical profile", do you mean same user name and password?

P

philo 

philo æ–¼ 2013å¹´3月14日星期四UTC-5下åˆ2時15分55秒寫é“:

When you said "identical profile", do you mean same user name and password?

Same user name but I don't think the password matters

S

silkunicorn

philo 於 2013å¹´3月14日星期四UTC-5下åˆ6時01分52秒寫é“:
Same user name but I don't think the password matters

I did that but my files and folders still won't show up on my desktop. The restore process proceed but no files/folders were processed, only the bytes..

P

philo 

I did that but my files and folders still won't show up on my desktop. The restore process proceed but no files/folders were processed, only the bytes.

Do a drive search for *one* of the files that should have been restored
and see where it ended up

P

philo 

philo æ–¼ 2013å¹´3月15日星期五UTC-5上åˆ7時22分03秒寫é“:

Yes, I did the exact way using Windows XP Backup Utility.

Thank you.

They must have gone somewhere use Windows explorer to access your C:
drive then look in "Documents and Settings"

There will be several different profiles, so start looking through those
as your data must have been restored to some other profile than the one
you are logged on to...

Maybe it would be better to just plain log off and see if there is
another profile that you can log on to.

S

silkunicorn

There were several profiles in my Documents and Settings and most of them which I cannot access. When I went in trying to access the Desktop, it said access denied.

So I decided to reformat my drive and did a clean install of Windows XP. Then I tried the restore again. No file showed up. And when I went into my Documents and Settings, besides the new profile I have, there was another profile was created (which was one of the old ones that appeared before I did a clean install). I tried to open the Desktop in that profile, again, it said "access denied".

I don't know why when I did the restore, Windows XP will create another profile under the old name. Shouldn't it just restore my files/folders onto mynew desktop?

Thank you.

P

philo 

There were several profiles in my Documents and Settings and most of them which I cannot access. When I went in trying to access the Desktop, it said access denied.

So I decided to reformat my drive and did a clean install of Windows XP. Then I tried the restore again. No file showed up. And when I went into my Documents and Settings, besides the new profile I have, there was another profile was created (which was one of the old ones that appeared before I did a clean install). I tried to open the Desktop in that profile, again, it said "access denied".

I don't know why when I did the restore, Windows XP will create another profile under the old name. Shouldn't it just restore my files/folders onto my new desktop?

Thank you.

OK that explains it...the restore...
was made to your former profile...

When you did your fresh install, you should have re-created that profile
right during the installation.

You may want to try again...
but if you simply want to gain access to the profile you cannot access

(which would explain why the drive search did not show the data) you
will need to take ownership of that folder (or folders)

see this

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

BTW: I am heading out of town shortly and will probably not have
computer access, so if you need more help, hopefully someone else will
be able to jump in here....good luck to you Silkunicorn

S

silkunicorn

Hi philo,

I finally figured out the problem. I was able to restore all files after I UNCHECKED the following:

1. Restore Security Settings
2. Preserve Existing Volume Mount Points

After that, all of my files and folders were restored successfully into my PC.

FYI, I chose the option "Alternate Location" and restore the files and folders into a new folder on my desktop.

And I did try to gain ownership of the files/folders but still get the error "access denied". After doing the above, I was able to access all the files/folders from restore.

Thank you for all of your help.

P

philo 

Hi philo,

I finally figured out the problem. I was able to restore all files after I UNCHECKED the following:

1. Restore Security Settings
2. Preserve Existing Volume Mount Points

After that, all of my files and folders were restored successfully into my PC.

FYI, I chose the option "Alternate Location" and restore the files and folders into a new folder on my desktop.

And I did try to gain ownership of the files/folders but still get the error "access denied". After doing the above, I was able to access all the files/folders from restore.

Thank you for all of your help.

I just got back from my vacation and am very glad you got the problem
all figured out...plus I learned something too!

Ask a Question