Windows XP cant login on XP!!

Reaction score
For crying out loud.
I just went into the control panel and made a few security changes in an attempt make my pc a bit safer on the net and managed to lock myself out.

When I try to login as a user or as the administrator, I get the usual 'loading your personal preferences' then my desktop appears for a few milliseconds and the screen goes back the login page and says 'saving your settings' .
I know it is accepting my login credentials, but apparently XP allows you to set securtiy such that NO USER, even the ADMINISTRATOR cannot login...brilliant.

Any help would be very, very much appreciated.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Sorry, but you just made my day ... everyone on the internat can probably access your PC, but you cannot log-on.

laughingsmiley.gif

Sorry again ... not laughing at you ... but MS sure have a warped sense of humour.

err, can you get in in Safe Mode?

:)

oh, and welcome to the forums ... :thumb:

Reaction score
I can't seem to start in safe mode, at least not by holding f8, or hitting it 20 times a second during bootup. Is there another way?

By the way, I have another pc at home running on the same wireless lan, is ther a way I can get ot it on the lan? I also get internet from thsi lan, do you suppose I could get to my freaking pc through the internet?

I am sure all of the above require I know the ip address of my locked pc or do they?

muckshifter

Reaction score
Nup, you won't get "in" that way ... I was merely joking. ;)

What "security" settings were you playing with?

:)

Reaction score
u should be able to get into safe mode are u sure ur keyboard is workin in bios?
keep hitting f8!!!!!

if there is a way to acess the pc from another pc and change the password itwill be too long and not woerth the effort

Reaction score
I think the problem is in my action below:

In the control panel > Administrative tools > security settings > ip security policies on local computer, I changed all three (client, secure server and server) from Policy assign NO to Assign.

Reaction score
By-the-way, as I am whacking like a madman on f8, eventually the pc beeps in protest so I guess the keyboard is working OK.

Reaction score
Also, I don't think it is a password problem exactly. I think the password concept is as ignorant and antiquated as car keys, I don't use them ever, anywhere. My password is blank, I just hit the enter key.

The acception is the admininistrator password which is of course admin.

when I login, the pc seems to accept the blank and admin as legit, it then immediately logs me back out.

muckshifter

Reaction score
sombre1 said:
I think the problem is in my action below:

In the control panel > Administrative tools > security settings > ip security policies on local computer, I changed all three (client, secure server and server) from Policy assign NO to Assign.
oops ... nothing like locking the car with the keys in the ignition, but in effect is what you have done here.

You have told your PC not to accept any access ... these "policy's" are designed to help protect one, who may be on an Intranet, from out side trafic.

All I can suggest is you do a "dirty install" of the OS and hope it will let you.

:thumb:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
sombre1 said:
I just got into safemode by using a differnt keyboard (non usb) what now?

well the most logical thing would be to change all the settings back to what they were

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
oops ... nothing like locking the car with the keys in the ignition, but in effect is what you have done here.

You have told your PC not to accept any access ... these "policy's" are designed to help protect one, who may be on an Intranet, from out side trafic.

All I can suggest is you do a "dirty install" of the OS and hope it will let you.

:thumb:

I am in!! I managed to start in safemode with another keyboard. What now?

Reaction score
Alright people, don't leave on me yet...please!

I have changed back to normal, these:
In the control panel > Administrative tools > security settings > ip security policies on local computer, I changed all three (client, secure server and server) to Assign NO.
Still won't let me log in as normal.

I likely changed something or other else in the local security area, but not sure what. Any idaes what else could inhibit any user from logging in?

Ask a Question