Can't loggin into Windows after hibernation

Jozef Izso

Hi,

after my laptop resumes from hibernation the User name and Password text
boxes are gray and I can't change their values.

The loggon screen says: Only user DOMAIN\User_Name or Administrator can
unlock this computer, but no user name is in User name box.

We need to do hard laptop turn off.

This happens on three of our notebooks and it started at this Tuesday.

Jozef Izso

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

Hi Jozef ,

I have following suggestions:

Suggestion 1:
==============
USER\Administrative Templates\System\Power Management\Prompt for password
on resume from hibernate / suspend

Check this group policy. This settings allows you to configure client
computers to always lock when resuming from a hibernate or suspend. If you
enable this setting, the client computer is locked when it is resumed from
a suspend or hibernate state. If you disable or do not configure this
setting, users can decide if their computer is automatically locked or not
after performing a resume operation.

Suggestion 2:
==============
Since this issue started at Tuesday, I think you can consider perform
system restore.

Using System Restore to Restore Windows XP
1. Log on to Windows as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators
group.
2. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to
System Tools, and then click System Restore. System Restore starts.
3. On the "Welcome to System Restore" page, click "Restore my computer to
an earlier time" (if it is not already selected), and then click Next.
4. On the "Select a Restore Point" page, choose a point prior to before the
problem occurred in the "On this list, click a restore point" list, and
then click Next. A System Restore message may appear that lists
configuration changes that System Restore will make. Click OK.
5. On the "Confirm Restore Point Selection" page, click Next. System
Restore restores the previous Windows XP configuration, and then restarts
the computer.
6. Log on to the computer as Administrator. The System Restore Restoration
Complete page appears.
7. Click OK.

You may inadvertently restore Windows XP to a previous configuration that
you do not want. To undo the restoration:
1. Log on to Windows as Administrator.
2. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to
System Tools, and then click System Restore. System Restore starts.
3. On the "Welcome to System Restore" page, click "Undo my last
restoration", and then click Next. A System Restore message may appear
that lists configuration changes that System Restore will make. Click OK.
4. On the Confirm Restoration Undo page, click Next. System Restore
restores the original Windows XP configuration, and then restarts the
computer.
5. Log on to the computer as Administrator. The System Restore Undo
Complete page appears.
6. Click OK.

For more information about system restore in Windows XP, please refer to
the following KB article on Microsoft Web site:
306084: HOW TO: Restore Windows XP to a Previous State
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

Note: If there are some important documents or files which were created
after the restore point, please back up them into My Documents. By doing
this, even if roll back the system to the initial status, the documents
will be saved in My Documents.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

that others
may learn and benefit from this issue.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,and confers no rights.

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

Hi Jozef ,

I am just writing to see how everything is going. If you have any updates
or need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free to let me
know. I am glad to be of assistance.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

PLEASE NOTE: The partner managed newsgroups are provided to assist with
break/fix issues and simple how to questions.

We also love to hear your product feedback!
Let us know what you think by posting
from the web interface: Partner Feedback
from your newsreader: microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback.
We look forward to hearing from you!