Can't lock DVD drive ("access denied") for burning

Bruce Phillips

I have been burning DVDs/CDs successfully for the six months I've had this
Vista Home Premium machine (using 3rd party software). Just recently I'm
getting the error that the drive cannot be locked ("access denied") when
trying to burn data DVDs/CDs. I'm still able to burn an audio CD within VMC,
however.

I have a feeling some process/dll has a handle on the drive, but I don't
know how to find that out. Anyone with any ideas?

Spirit

Check Taskmanager to see if WP11, Nero, or similar is running that accesses
the Drive.

Could be the drive is not closing fully.

Try other brand disks.

Bruce Phillips

The only things running in TaskManager pertaining to Media Player that I can
see are its Network Services (wmpnetwk.exe & wmpnicfg.exe). Nero is not
installed.

Drive is closed properly.

I've tried 3 different brands that have all worked before.

| Check Taskmanager to see if WP11, Nero, or similar is running that
accesses
| the Drive.
|
| Could be the drive is not closing fully.
|
| Try other brand disks.
|
| | >I have been burning DVDs/CDs successfully for the six months I've had
this
| > Vista Home Premium machine (using 3rd party software). Just recently I'm
| > getting the error that the drive cannot be locked ("access denied") when
| > trying to burn data DVDs/CDs. I'm still able to burn an audio CD within
| > VMC,
| > however.
| >
| > I have a feeling some process/dll has a handle on the drive, but I
don't
| > know how to find that out. Anyone with any ideas?

Bruce Phillips

Chad,

I've seen that KB article before, but I checked again and there are no
filter values listed at all. Interestingly, I tried to open the Properties
key right below that and it said that I didn't have permission to do so (as
well as other Properties keys in other classes). I have an Admin account. Is
this normal?

B.