Burning with Vista

Jay

Are their known issues with burning cds/dvds using vista's (business)
built in abilities?
I have lost many cds/dvds through failed burns. Even a simple:
-put in a blank
-choose the burn files to disc
-format
has resulted in failure.

Does my laptop have a dirty drive or is this common for vista?
Should I use a 3rd party program to do this very simple task?
Had to laugh when I (successfully) burnt 380MB of photos to disc just
before. The dialogue said remaining time 5200 days and 1 hour.
Thankfully the 5200 days turned out to be around 10 minutes.

George Valkov

Jay, I accidentaly replayed to your e-mail, instead to the news group.
Please do not replay to that e-mail address! I appologise for my mistake!

In device manager, locate your DVD/CD writer, open the properties, Driver,
Driver Details.
There should be cdrom.sys which is signed. Check if there is anything
unsigned (without the tick mark, left to it's name).

Any unsigned driver there may cause problems. I have seen these:
GEARAspiWDM.sys - comes from iTunes and others
pxhelp20.sys

They help my Plextor to stop working ;-)
Here's the funny part: a 4x DVD+RW disk usually takes 15 minutes to erase. I
left the computer and came back 1 hour later, it was still erasing. I also
had temporary lockups when accessing the drive. I got rid from all
unsigned drivers and everything functions normally again.

Despite all of my warnings, Apple iTunes continues to SILENTLY install
GEARAspiWDM on users' computers. There's no warning, no option to choose not
to install it, no anything. So iTunes is not safe!

| Are their known issues with burning cds/dvds using vista's (business)
| built in abilities?
| I have lost many cds/dvds through failed burns. Even a simple:
| -put in a blank
| -choose the burn files to disc
| -format
| has resulted in failure.
|
| Does my laptop have a dirty drive or is this common for vista?
| Should I use a 3rd party program to do this very simple task?
| Had to laugh when I (successfully) burnt 380MB of photos to disc just
| before. The dialogue said remaining time 5200 days and 1 hour.
| Thankfully the 5200 days turned out to be around 10 minutes.

Jay

Jay, I accidentaly replayed to your e-mail, instead to the news group.
Please do not replay to that e-mail address! I appologise for my mistake!

In device manager, locate your DVD/CD writer, open the properties, Driver,
Driver Details.
There should be cdrom.sys which is signed. Check if there is anything
unsigned (without the tick mark, left to it's name).

Any unsigned driver there may cause problems. I have seen these:
GEARAspiWDM.sys    - comes from iTunes and others
pxhelp20.sys

They help my Plextor to stop working ;-)
Here's the funny part: a 4x DVD+RW disk usually takes 15 minutes to erase.. I
left the computer and came back 1 hour later, it was still erasing. I also
had temporary lockups when accessing the drive. I got rid from all
unsigned drivers and everything functions normally again.

Despite all of my warnings, Apple iTunes continues to SILENTLY install
GEARAspiWDM on users' computers. There's no warning, no option to choose not
to install it, no anything. So iTunes is not safe!

Thanks George,
Under driver details I have cdrom.sys which is digitally signed.
Below that is PxHelp20.sys from Sonic Solutions which is not signed.
No idea where it came from.
Could this be the problem and if so what should I do?
Never been near iTunes in my life.

George Valkov

in message
Jay, I accidentaly replayed to your e-mail, instead to the news group.
Please do not replay to that e-mail address! I appologise for my mistake!

In device manager, locate your DVD/CD writer, open the properties, Driver,
Driver Details.
There should be cdrom.sys which is signed. Check if there is anything
unsigned (without the tick mark, left to it's name).

Any unsigned driver there may cause problems. I have seen these:
GEARAspiWDM.sys - comes from iTunes and others
pxhelp20.sys

They help my Plextor to stop working ;-)
Here's the funny part: a 4x DVD+RW disk usually takes 15 minutes to erase.
left the computer and came back 1 hour later, it was still erasing. I also
had temporary lockups when accessing the drive. I got rid from all
unsigned drivers and everything functions normally again.

Despite all of my warnings, Apple iTunes continues to SILENTLY install
GEARAspiWDM on users' computers. There's no warning, no option to choose
not
to install it, no anything. So iTunes is not safe!

| Thanks George,
| Under driver details I have cdrom.sys which is digitally signed.
| Below that is PxHelp20.sys from Sonic Solutions which is not signed.
| No idea where it came from.
| Could this be the problem and if so what should I do?
| Never been near iTunes in my life.

In general the unsigned drivers installed to DVD/CD drivers can be
registered as either LowerFilters or UpperFilters. Plus a driver. Start
Menu, Run, type:
regedit [ENTER]

locate:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
[Edit, Find] search for the file's name (you will find:
ImagePath=PxHelp20.sys) under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\PxHelp20
where the sub-key under Services e.g. PxHelp20 is the name of the driver

delete the driver (asuming it is called PxHelp20), Start, run, type:
sc delete "PxHelp20" [ENTER] <-- this is the prefered way
Alternatively you may delete the sub-key with the driver's name.

To remove all references in LowerFilters or UpperFilters, Search for the
driver's name e. g. PxHelp20, under:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet
^ Edit the values and delete the lines containing the name of the driver,
e.g.
LowerFilters=PxHelp20 --> LowerFilters=
UpperFilters=redbook, PxHelp20 --> UpperFilters=redbook

Note, one will probably be on a key that has:
(Default)=DVD/CD-ROM drives
and there's probably one or few more, in a key similar to this path:
IDE\CdRom????????????????????????\?????????????

Seek and destroy until you reach the end of the registry. You don't want the
name of that driver to be anywhere. Restart the computer, the unsigned
driver should have disapeared from Device Manager. If you miss some
reference, one or more DVD/CD drives will disapear, Device Manager will
indicate (!) for them.

Note that the software that installed the unsigned drivers may no longer be
alble to burn disks or may stop working completely. iTunes complayns on
every startup. Some "smart" software may even reinstall the unsigned
filters, If so, get rid of it.

Do you have Pinnacle or any other software with CD/DVD burning functionality
or video authoring or ripping? Many of these install unsigned driver
filters. Users should STOP buying software from such companies. Those who
already have purchased the software can sacrifice a second windows
installation, in order to keap the main clean.

Windows XP and Vista have built-in API for DVD/CD recording. It is
recommended that software developers relay on it, and NOT on unsigned
drivers, because they usually cause incompatibility, instabillity or other
issues, like your.

Good Luck

George Valkov

LesleyO

George --

I have the iTunes driver that you mention on my system, and it is signed.
However, I do have two unsigned drivers as well; how do I get rid of the
darned things? One of then, I can figure out which program it belongs to and
uninstalling it MIGHT remover the driver as well, but the other, I cannot
tell where it came from. Any suggestions?

Lesley

George Valkov

Lesley,
The removal steps are universal for all other filter drivers. Just replace
PxHelp20 with the actual driver's name. Read carefully one of my posts to
Jay, where I have described in details: how to search for the SYS file e.g.
GEARAspiWDM.sys that is displayed in Device Manager, in order to find the
name of the driver. And then how to use the driver's name in the rest of the
cleanup steps.

Signed or not, I've had enough trouble from these 3rd-party drivers (Lower
and Upper filters). Enough not to trust any of them, so I wouldn't recommend
anything that does not originally come with windows.
On Vista there should be probably only one: cdrom.sys
On XP there should be these four: cdrom.sys, imapi.sys, redbook.sys,
storprop.dll

What drivers do you have listed there?

George Valkov

in message | George --

| I have the iTunes driver that you mention on my system, and it is signed.
| However, I do have two unsigned drivers as well; how do I get rid of the
| darned things? One of then, I can figure out which program it belongs to
and
| uninstalling it MIGHT remover the driver as well, but the other, I cannot
| tell where it came from. Any suggestions?
|
| Lesley
|
| | > Jay, I accidentaly replayed to your e-mail, instead to the news group.
| > Please do not replay to that e-mail address! I appologise for my
mistake!

| > In device manager, locate your DVD/CD writer, open the properties,
Driver,
| > Driver Details.
| > There should be cdrom.sys which is signed. Check if there is anything
| > unsigned (without the tick mark, left to it's name).
| >
| > Any unsigned driver there may cause problems. I have seen these:
| > GEARAspiWDM.sys - comes from iTunes and others
| > pxhelp20.sys
| >
| > They help my Plextor to stop working ;-)
| > Here's the funny part: a 4x DVD+RW disk usually takes 15 minutes to
erase.
| > left the computer and came back 1 hour later, it was still erasing. I
also
| > had temporary lockups when accessing the drive. I got rid from all
| > unsigned drivers and everything functions normally again.
| >
| > Despite all of my warnings, Apple iTunes continues to SILENTLY install
| > GEARAspiWDM on users' computers. There's no warning, no option to choose
| > not
| > to install it, no anything. So iTunes is not safe!

| > | built in abilities?
| > | I have lost many cds/dvds through failed burns. Even a simple:
| > | -put in a blank
| > | -choose the burn files to disc
| > | -format
| > | has resulted in failure.
| > |
| > | Does my laptop have a dirty drive or is this common for vista?
| > | Should I use a 3rd party program to do this very simple task?
| > | Had to laugh when I (successfully) burnt 380MB of photos to disc just
| > | before. The dialogue said remaining time 5200 days and 1 hour.
| > | Thankfully the 5200 days turned out to be around 10 minutes.

LesleyO

Hi, George --

Well, I have the iTunes one, which I use a lot. I also have the PxHelp20.sys
one that you mentioned from Sonic Solutions. Another is Afc.sys, which is
ArcSoft; I had a program from them but have uninstalled it. Unfortunately it
left the driver behind. Then there is ASAPIW2k.sys, which is associated with
VOB Computersysteme GmbH. That's a company that was acquired by Pinnacle
Systems a couple of years ago, and I do have one of their programs for
videos.

I'm a bit loath to go in and edit the registry, plus I wonder if my Pinnacle
program will work if I remove that driver. Perhaps I'll persist for a bit
and see if I can work this out before I give up entirely?
Lesley

George Valkov

You seem to have a rather spicy soup ;-) only I'm not quite sure all spices
are compatible to each other. You should know far better than me, how your
own computer is behaving. What's your opinion?

Before changes to the registry, you can backup the registry key [right
click, export] - everything under this key will be restored, if you restore
that [.reg] file later.

A driver can be disabled by setting the start value in it's key to 4:
Start=4
Note that you don't need to disable or delete the driver itself, removing
all references to it should probably be enough, but You can disable it, to
prevent it from running.

To break the link between the DVD/CD hardware and the a filter driver by
removing driver's name under LowerFilters or UpperFilters.

One you have your backup, feel free to test removing references to one
driver or another (restarting the computer after every change), and if
anything goes wrong, just restore the original values from the [.reg] file.

If you backup the registry keys after removing the references, you will have
one [.reg] file to remove and another to restore all references to the
filter drivers.

George Valkov

in message | Hi, George --

| Well, I have the iTunes one, which I use a lot. I also have the
PxHelp20.sys
| one that you mentioned from Sonic Solutions. Another is Afc.sys, which is
| ArcSoft; I had a program from them but have uninstalled it. Unfortunately
it
| left the driver behind. Then there is ASAPIW2k.sys, which is associated
with
| VOB Computersysteme GmbH. That's a company that was acquired by Pinnacle
| Systems a couple of years ago, and I do have one of their programs for
| videos.
|
| I'm a bit loath to go in and edit the registry, plus I wonder if my
Pinnacle
| program will work if I remove that driver. Perhaps I'll persist for a bit
| and see if I can work this out before I give up entirely?
| Lesley
|
| | > Lesley,
| > The removal steps are universal for all other filter drivers. Just
replace
| > PxHelp20 with the actual driver's name. Read carefully one of my posts
| > Jay, where I have described in details: how to search for the SYS file
| > e.g.
| > GEARAspiWDM.sys that is displayed in Device Manager, in order to find
the
| > name of the driver. And then how to use the driver's name in the rest of
| > the
| > cleanup steps.
| >
| > Signed or not, I've had enough trouble from these 3rd-party drivers
(Lower
| > and Upper filters). Enough not to trust any of them, so I wouldn't
| > recommend
| > anything that does not originally come with windows.
| > On Vista there should be probably only one: cdrom.sys
| > On XP there should be these four: cdrom.sys, imapi.sys, redbook.sys,
| > storprop.dll
| >
| > What drivers do you have listed there?
| >

| > George Valkov
| >

| > "LesleyO " wrote in message | > | George --
| > |
| > | I have the iTunes driver that you mention on my system, and it is
| > signed.
| > | However, I do have two unsigned drivers as well; how do I get rid of
the
| > | darned things? One of then, I can figure out which program it belongs
| > and
| > | uninstalling it MIGHT remover the driver as well, but the other, I
| > cannot
| > | tell where it came from. Any suggestions?
| > |
| > | Lesley
| > |
| > mistake!

| > Driver,

| > erase.
| > also

| > choose

| > (business)
| > | > |
| > just

| > |

George Valkov

I also found an interesting topic here:
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=15536

QUOTE:
Originally Posted by Webslinger

i) Create a backup of your registry
ii) Download imgburn. It's a free program:
http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
(it's also an excellent program imo)
iii) Go to Tools > Filter Driver Load Order. Select "ASAPIW2k". Click
"Remove Selected Filter". Click "ok".
iv) Reboot

Whatever program installed that filter will no longer work properly.

in message
> [...]
|| > PxHelp20 with the actual driver's name. Read carefully one of my posts
|| > Jay, where I have described in details: how to search for the SYS file
|| > e.g.
|| > GEARAspiWDM.sys that is displayed in Device Manager, in order to find
| the
|| > name of the driver. And then how to use the driver's name in the rest
of
|| > the
|| > cleanup steps.
|| >
|| > Signed or not, I've had enough trouble from these 3rd-party drivers
| (Lower
|| > and Upper filters). Enough not to trust any of them, so I wouldn't
|| > recommend
|| > anything that does not originally come with windows.
|| > On Vista there should be probably only one: cdrom.sys
|| > On XP there should be these four: cdrom.sys, imapi.sys, redbook.sys,

|| > |
|| > signed.
| the
|| > and
|| > cannot
|| > |
|| > |
| group.
|| > mistake!

|| > Driver,
| anything

|| > erase.
|| > also

| install
|| > choose

|| > (business)
|| > | > |
|| > just

|| > |

LesleyO

Well this is just great, isn't it. If I leave the drivers there, they can
interfere with basic disc writing. If I take them out, I cannot use the
programs I've purchased for other purposes.

So what's the answer? Would there be a way of 'isolating' a USB burner if I
bought one?

Lesley

George Valkov said:
> [...]

posts
|| > Jay, where I have described in details: how to search for the SYS
file
|| > e.g.
|| > GEARAspiWDM.sys that is displayed in Device Manager, in order to find
| the
|| > name of the driver. And then how to use the driver's name in the rest
of
|| > the
|| > cleanup steps.
|| >
|| > Signed or not, I've had enough trouble from these 3rd-party drivers
| (Lower
|| > and Upper filters). Enough not to trust any of them, so I wouldn't
|| > recommend
|| > anything that does not originally come with windows.
|| > On Vista there should be probably only one: cdrom.sys
|| > On XP there should be these four: cdrom.sys, imapi.sys, redbook.sys,

|| > |
|| > signed.
| the
|| > and
|| > cannot
|| > |
|| > |
| group.
|| > mistake!

|| > Driver,
| anything

|| > erase.
|| > also

| install
|| > choose

|| > (business)
|| > | > |
|| > just

|| > |

George Valkov

I believe the filter drivers for class CDROM will interfere with anything
that fits into that class, includding USB burners.
1. call for support
2. dual-boot

| Well this is just great, isn't it. If I leave the drivers there, they can
| interfere with basic disc writing. If I take them out, I cannot use the
| programs I've purchased for other purposes.
|
| So what's the answer? Would there be a way of 'isolating' a USB burner if
| bought one?
|
| Lesley
|
| | >I also found an interesting topic here:
| > http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=15536
| >
| > QUOTE:

| > Originally Posted by Webslinger
| >
| > i) Create a backup of your registry
| > ii) Download imgburn. It's a free program:
| > http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
| > (it's also an excellent program imo)
| > iii) Go to Tools > Filter Driver Load Order. Select "ASAPIW2k". Click
| > "Remove Selected Filter". Click "ok".
| > iv) Reboot
| >
| > Whatever program installed that filter will no longer work properly.

| > spices
| > | are compatible to each other. You should know far better than me, how
| > your
| > | own computer is behaving. What's your opinion?
| > |
| > |
| > | Before changes to the registry, you can backup the registry key [right
| > | click, export] - everything under this key will be restored, if you
| > restore
| > | that [.reg] file later.
| > |
| > | A driver can be disabled by setting the start value in it's key to 4:
| > | Start=4
| > | Note that you don't need to disable or delete the driver itself,
| > removing
| > | all references to it should probably be enough, but You can disable
it,
| > | prevent it from running.
| > |
| > | To break the link between the DVD/CD hardware and the a filter driver
by
| > | removing driver's name under LowerFilters or UpperFilters.
| > |
| > | One you have your backup, feel free to test removing references to one
| > | driver or another (restarting the computer after every change), and if
| > | anything goes wrong, just restore the original values from the [.reg]
| > file.
| > |
| > | If you backup the registry keys after removing the references, you
will
| > have
| > | one [.reg] file to remove and another to restore all references to the
| > | filter drivers.
| > |
| > | George Valkov
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > ||
| > | PxHelp20.sys
| > is
| > Unfortunately
| > | it
| > | with
| > Pinnacle
| > ||
| > | Pinnacle
| > bit
| > ||
| > | replace
| > posts
| > file
| > | the
| > of

| > | (Lower

| > || > |
| > of
| > | the
| > belongs
| > || > |
| > || > |
| > | group.

| > properties,
| > | anything

| > erasing.
| > all

| > | install

| > || > | > |
| > disc

| > || > |

| > ||
| > |
| > |

LesleyO

Hi, George -

Well, I'm certainly not the type to dual-boot! Besides that, these programs
are supposed to be Vista friendly. I assume that you mean call their
'manufacturers'....
Lesley

George Valkov said:
I believe the filter drivers for class CDROM will interfere with anything
that fits into that class, includding USB burners.
1. call for support
2. dual-boot

| Well this is just great, isn't it. If I leave the drivers there, they
can
| interfere with basic disc writing. If I take them out, I cannot use the
| programs I've purchased for other purposes.
|
| So what's the answer? Would there be a way of 'isolating' a USB burner
if
| bought one?
|
| Lesley
|
| | >I also found an interesting topic here:
| > http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=15536
| >
| > QUOTE:

| > Originally Posted by Webslinger
| >
| > i) Create a backup of your registry
| > ii) Download imgburn. It's a free program:
| > http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
| > (it's also an excellent program imo)
| > iii) Go to Tools > Filter Driver Load Order. Select "ASAPIW2k". Click
| > "Remove Selected Filter". Click "ok".
| > iv) Reboot
| >
| > Whatever program installed that filter will no longer work properly.

| > spices
| > | are compatible to each other. You should know far better than me,
how
| > your
| > | own computer is behaving. What's your opinion?
| > |
| > |
| > | Before changes to the registry, you can backup the registry key
[right
| > | click, export] - everything under this key will be restored, if you
| > restore
| > | that [.reg] file later.
| > |
| > | A driver can be disabled by setting the start value in it's key to
4:
| > | Start=4
| > | Note that you don't need to disable or delete the driver itself,
| > removing
| > | all references to it should probably be enough, but You can disable
it,
| > | prevent it from running.
| > |
| > | To break the link between the DVD/CD hardware and the a filter
driver
by
| > | removing driver's name under LowerFilters or UpperFilters.
| > |
| > | One you have your backup, feel free to test removing references to
one
| > | driver or another (restarting the computer after every change), and
if
| > | anything goes wrong, just restore the original values from the
[.reg]
| > file.
| > |
| > | If you backup the registry keys after removing the references, you
will
| > have
| > | one [.reg] file to remove and another to restore all references to
the
| > | filter drivers.
| > |
| > | George Valkov