Can't find server throught VPN connection

Philip

Help!
I have 2 win2k servers. Main server has Win2k and
Exchange2k installed. It is running DNS, DHCP, WINS. The
backup server runs the VPN server service. The client
connects no problem. But when I search the VPN network
for the server by server name "\\server1". It can't find
it. If I search for it throught IP "192.168.16.2", then
it finds the server. I checked the DNS, looks like
everything is fine? It was working last week, I have not
change anything. I tried running the VPN server service
on both servers, and still the same problem.
Thanks!

Gary Fose [MSFT]

Hi Philip,

This appears to be a name resolution issue. When the VPN client makes it's connection, it
cannot resolve the name to an IP address. Depending what information you are giving the
VPN client when it makes a connection, you can try one of the following:

1. Add Hosts file with both IP to host name and IP to FQDN of the resource servers/machines
2. Add DNS suffix search order for the domain in the VPN IP settings
3. Have WINS for the VPN clients
4. uninstall any forewall third party applications, such as Zone Alarm, and then test. If this
works, then you can reinstall Zone Alarm and check the configuration settings that were
blocking name resolution.
5. Be sure NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled on the VPN connection proterties.

Hope this helps,
Gary
--------------------
'--'From: "Philip" <[email protected]>
'--'Sender: "Philip" <[email protected]>
'--'Subject: Can't find server throught VPN connection
'--'Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 23:48:45 -0800
'--'Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking
'--'
'--'Help!
'--'I have 2 win2k servers. Main server has Win2k and
'--'Exchange2k installed. It is running DNS, DHCP, WINS. The
'--'backup server runs the VPN server service. The client
'--'connects no problem. But when I search the VPN network
'--'for the server by server name "\\server1". It can't find
'--'it. If I search for it throught IP "192.168.16.2", then
'--'it finds the server. I checked the DNS, looks like
'--'everything is fine? It was working last week, I have not
'--'change anything. I tried running the VPN server service
'--'on both servers, and still the same problem.
'--'Thanks!
'--'
'--'

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included
script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best
directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.

Philip

Thanks alot Gary!
It worked. I hope there is somthing that I can do on the
server side so I don't have to do it for every client.

Thanks,
[...]

'--'From: "Philip" <[email protected]>
'--'Sender: "Philip" <[email protected]>
'--'Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 23:48:45 -0800