Can't delete user

Michael Satterwhite

I'm trying to help a friend with his WinXP Home Edition system. He is the
only user on the system and wants to stop the initial Welcome / Select user
screen from coming up. He had added a second user acccount (he doesn't need
or want it) to his system, so I'm guessing that's why he's seeing this
screen, as Windows needs to know which user is using the machine.

I've tried to delete this user from the administrative account. I tell it to
keep the files for safety purposes, but I can't get it to delete the user.
I get the error message:

"Could not complete the operation due to error 80070402."

How can I get rid of this user and let him auto-logon?

tia
---Michael

Carey Frisch [MVP]

You can also use the following easy steps to enable automatic logon:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type: control userpasswords2 , and then click OK.
3. In the dialog box that appears, clear the "Users must enter a user name
and password to use this computer" check box, and then click OK.

How to Enable Automatic Logon in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315231&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP