Can't delete partition

I am upgrading from Windows 2000 Pro to XP Pro and I want to do a clean
install. When I go to delete the partition, it says that I can't because the
partition contains files necessary for setup. I have come across this before
and can't remember what to do to delete the partitions. Any help would be
most appreciated! Thanks

Erik
(e-mail address removed)

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Erik,
So the first statement confuses me a little.
I am upgrading Windows 2000 and I want to do a clean install.
That is an either or statement, you can either upgrade or clean install but
you cannot do both. It's one or the other.
During setup you cannot remove(partition) either the system
partition(partition that contains the boot files) or the boot
partition(partition that contains the \Windows folder that you are
upgrading). There are files that are on those two partitions that are
essential for setup to continue with and use later in the setup process, if
you remove the partition you remove the file,
If you are doing a clean install, you need to boot from the CD, now the
boot files are located on the cd and setup prompts for partitioning before
any files are written to the hard drive. If you insert the cd into a
running Windows 2000 machine and let autorun start, setup copies the boot
files to the system drive and restarts from the hard drive, so the OS files
are now on the partition that you may be trying to remove as well as the
temp folders for setup.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: "=?Utf-8?B?RXJpaw==?=" <[email protected]>
<Subject: Can't delete partition
<Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:07:05 -0700
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
<
<I am upgrading from Windows 2000 Pro to XP Pro and I want to do a clean
<install. When I go to delete the partition, it says that I can't because
the
<partition contains files necessary for setup. I have come across this
before
<and can't remember what to do to delete the partitions. Any help would be
<most appreciated! Thanks
<
<Erik
<[email protected]