Can't access files on slave drive

G

My system uses two hard drives of identical size, the one w/ out an OS used for a graphics scratch drives and a sort of catch-all. The primary hard drive held the OS and my work files. When XP suddenly crashed on me a month ago, I found the problem to be a combination of a bad processor and an invasion from a hacker. The PC got an upgrade, but rather than erase my important information, I installed XP on my old slave drive and designated it as the Master drive. And vise versa. The load went great, everything seemed OK, until I tried to transfer my old profile onto the new installation. It said I didn't have permission to view the files, and when I tried to change my permissions, as Admin, it simply didn't give me the option. I am certain it is because the installations were done separately, and the old files 'think' an outsider is trying to access them. How do I fix this so that I can access my files?

G

Still no luck. It says I can take ownership or change auditing but that I don't have the permissions neccesary to view or alter the file permissions. I haven't been able to get the internet back to my house yet to install SP1; might it be that?

Ask a Question