Canon IP3300, Canon IP5300 or HP 7160

john

I am looking fpr a new printer for
General use - mainly text & web pages
Cheap to run with the manufacturers cartridges
Not to expensive to buy
Reliable
Canon or HP
Does anyone have any comments on my list of printers that I have seen
reports on that are possablilties, or do you have any other
recomendations

zakezuke

I am looking fpr a new printer for
General use - mainly text & web pages
Cheap to run with the manufacturers cartridges
Not to expensive to buy
Reliable
Canon or HP
Does anyone have any comments on my list of printers that I have seen
reports on that are possablilties, or do you have any other
recomendations

The ip3300/ip3500 is basicly an ip3000 with newer inks. It takes 4
inks, where in anything other than plain paper . It's drop size is
larger, so resolution and color rendering would be somewhat lower, but
might fit your needs. Good cost per page for plain paper text.

I know less about the ip5300, in fact it's the first time I've heard
about the model. Based on prior models it should offer superior color
rendering on photos, There is the ip4500 which should be a similar
model. wider pigment black, so it should be faster for plain text
printing.

I can't speak for the hp 7160 as i've not really met one or anything
similar in that series.

DanG

HP is releasing some of the buggiest and most dysfunctional drivers and
software ever seen. Avoid at all costs. The problems seem to run across all
hardware and model lines.

Burt

I am looking fpr a new printer for
General use - mainly text & web pages
Cheap to run with the manufacturers cartridges
Not to expensive to buy
Reliable
Canon or HP
Does anyone have any comments on my list of printers that I have seen
reports on that are possablilties, or do you have any other
recomendations

Unfortunately your question had one very important inconsistancy. "Cheap
to run with the manufacturers cartridges." Kodak's new printer ads claim
that their inks are less expensive, but I haven't seen comparative studies
on cost per page of inks. The cheapest approach is to refill canon carts
with good quality bulk inks like MIS, IS, Formulabs. or Hobbicolors. Too
bad that the latest generation of Canon printers have chips on their
cartridges that create issues about refilling. I would go for a Canon with
separate color carts. I have seen the ip4200 printer on some web sites
selling for about $40. Not so easy to find now. The ip4300 is a better
printer for photos and is also being sold at pretty low prices. For the
price of this printer, if you refill your carts you will save enough that
you can disregard possibly losing your warranty. Only thing is you must
visually inspect the ink levels, as Canon has, sadly, set the firmware up to
disable the ink monitoring if you refill your cartridges.

DanG

Someone recently reported getting an IP4300 for $70, which is less than the
cost of a set of tanks and a print head. He bought 2, one for the head and
tanks.

GeoffC

I am looking fpr a new printer for
General use - mainly text & web pages
Cheap to run with the manufacturers cartridges
Not to expensive to buy
Reliable
Canon or HP
Does anyone have any comments on my list of printers that I have seen
reports on that are possablilties, or do you have any other
recomendations

If you want "cheap to run", don't buy a bubblejet printer. They are more
expensive per page than other technologies. Laser is cheaper per page,
and if you are printing significant amounts, the total cost of ownership
will be lower.
Check the prices of mono and colour lasers for the home/small office.
Your jaw may drop.
Also, I don't recommend that you use refills or cheap inks in a
bubblejet printer. They aren't as satisfactory as the manufacturer's ink
cartridges, and unless you want to risk having hassle instead of
printing your stuff, avoid them at all costs (no pun intended.)

http://www.printerhelp.me.uk

Michael Johnson

GeoffC said:
If you want "cheap to run", don't buy a bubblejet printer. They are more
expensive per page than other technologies. Laser is cheaper per page,
and if you are printing significant amounts, the total cost of ownership
will be lower.
Check the prices of mono and colour lasers for the home/small office.
Your jaw may drop.
Also, I don't recommend that you use refills or cheap inks in a
bubblejet printer. They aren't as satisfactory as the manufacturer's ink
cartridges, and unless you want to risk having hassle instead of
printing your stuff, avoid them at all costs (no pun intended.)

Funny, I have used nothing but quality after market COMPATIBLE inks in
our Canon N2000, iP4000, MP780, i960 and an i9100 with zero problems. I
have saved thousands of dollars over the years. My printing costs using
compatible ink might make your jaw drop. I buy prefilled BCI-6
cartridges for $1.59 each so do the math.

You sound suspiciously like our resident troll regarding the use of
third party ink. I always get suspect of people making blanket
statements like you did above regarding after market inks. It tells me
you really don't have hands-on experience with them like I, and many
other people, have for a number of years. Believe me, if they destroyed
print heads I would be the first one here to steer people away from
them. The FACT is they don't. I know this from PERSONAL experience
from several years of using QUALITY after market inks.

Taliesyn

Michael said:
Funny, I have used nothing but quality after market COMPATIBLE inks in
our Canon N2000, iP4000, MP780, i960 and an i9100 with zero problems. I
have saved thousands of dollars over the years. My printing costs using
compatible ink might make your jaw drop. I buy prefilled BCI-6
cartridges for $1.59 each so do the math.

You sound suspiciously like our resident troll regarding the use of
third party ink. I always get suspect of people making blanket
statements like you did above regarding after market inks. It tells me
you really don't have hands-on experience with them like I, and many
other people, have for a number of years. Believe me, if they destroyed
print heads I would be the first one here to steer people away from
them. The FACT is they don't. I know this from PERSONAL experience
from several years of using QUALITY after market inks.

Agreed. I've saved several thousand dollars over the years. I have a
Canon iP5000 from 2004, still with the original printhead. And I have an
iP4000 with the original printhead from 2005. I also have an earlier
i860 where both the paper feed and the printhead died within a month.
Anything that dies within a month you know is a manufacturer's lemon
because the complete replacement is still working to this day (3 years
later) with the same inks. Those are the facts from personal experience.
And when I eventually move up to the chipped model printers I will run
them exactly the same, by refilling them. No reason for change yet as my
current printers are all still running perfectly.

-Taliesyn

measekite

GeoffC wrote: [email protected] wrote:
[...]

I knew there were others out their that knew the truth.

http://www.printerhelp.me.uk

measekite

Michael said:
Funny, I have used nothing but quality after market COMPATIBLE
There is not quality and the word compatible is meaningless just like
the early PC IBM ha ha compatible ha ha that did not have the basic
ROMs and did not work correctly.
inks in our Canon N2000, iP4000, MP780, i960 and an i9100 with zero
problems.
Now you would not expect anyone to admit the headaches of poor ink
unless they cried uncle for help in this ng. Some do.
I have saved thousands of dollars over the years. My printing costs
using compatible ink might make your jaw drop. I buy prefilled BCI-6
cartridges for $1.59 each so do the math.

You sound suspiciously like our resident troll regarding the use of
third party ink.
The minute anybody says anything about the cheapo crapo ink they get
accused of something. I am supposed to have a great job at Canon or is
it Epson or is it Nikon. Some have said I even own an aftermarket
company and that I am frank or some crank.
I always get suspect of people making blanket statements like you did
above regarding after market inks.
He made the same type of claims made here just not in agreement with the
dogma professed by the church.
It tells me you really don't have hands-on experience with them like I, He does have experience
and many other people, have for a number of years. Believe me, if
they destroyed print heads I would be the first one here to steer
people away from them. The FACT is they don't. I know this from
PERSONAL experience from several years of using QUALITY after market
inks.

And what about the more rapid fading and the lower quality color.
Speaking of color I see differences between the same photo printed on
the same printer 3 different ways.

From Photoshop - great color and results
From Gimp for Windows - Very good color and results but not as good as
photoshop.

From Gimp Linux - Poor color and Poor results probably due to the poor
Canon print driver. You also loose the ink monitoring system. That can
lead to burning the printhead. And with the chips in Canon's newer
printers you have no way of monitoring the printer when you use crap
ink. Burn Baby Burn

Frank

measekite said:
Now comes the rationializations from the high school kid. He lost a
printhead too.

Pathetic!
That's the best you can do? You just don't get it do you. You're really
and truly one mentally deranged individual.
There is no hope for ever having any rational discussion with a wacko
like you.
Yours nuts, insane, crazy and you're a known liar.
Frank

Frank

measekite said:
There is not quality and the word compatible is meaningless just like
the early PC IBM ha ha compatible ha ha that did not have the basic
ROMs and did not work correctly.

Oh really? How do you know? Tells us ok?
And what about the more rapid fading and the lower quality color.
Speaking of color I see differences between the same photo printed on
the same printer 3 different ways.

From Photoshop - great color and results
From Gimp for Windows - Very good color and results but not as good as
photoshop.

From Gimp Linux - Poor color and Poor results probably due to the poor
Canon print driver. You also loose the ink monitoring system. That can
lead to burning the printhead. And with the chips in Canon's newer
printers you have no way of monitoring the printer when you use crap
ink. Burn Baby Burn

More of you incessant lies?
Get a life you jerk!
Frank

Frank

You don't "recommend"...shit...you have no idea what's out there or what
to expect from using after market inks do you? You've told us all
numerous times that you've never, ever used any after markets inks right?
So how do you know what you are talking about?

Real answer:

YOU DON'T!

Craw back into your mom basement meashershithead! Daylight coming (again)!
Frank

Michael Johnson

Frank said:
Oh really? How do you know? Tells us ok?

We know it's NOT from his extensive use of compatible ink. It's funny
how the people that say compatible ink trashes your printer have zero
experience with it while the people who have used it for years have no
complaints with it. Who would you tend to believe?
More of you incessant lies?
Get a life you jerk!

He has a life. Right here, making himself a pain in our collective
asses by spreading misinformation.

DanG

..
Also, I don't recommend that you use refills or cheap inks in a bubblejet
printer. They aren't as satisfactory as the manufacturer's ink cartridges,
and unless you want to risk having hassle instead of printing your stuff,
avoid them at all costs (no pun intended.)

For the record, my IP3000 printed roughly 30,000 pages, running on 100%
compatible inks, not a single Canon tank in the lot and not a single
problem. Mostly Formulabs ink, which IMHO is superior to Canon ink in every
way. Replaced the head due to one burned out row of nozzles, and it's still
going strong. I don't have the time to figure out how much that saved me,
but easily worth the cost of several printers.

zakezuke

.

For the record, my IP3000 printed roughly 30,000 pages, running on 100%
compatible inks, not a single Canon tank in the lot and not a single
problem. Mostly Formulabs ink, which IMHO is superior to Canon ink in every
way. Replaced the head due to one burned out row of nozzles, and it's still
going strong. I don't have the time to figure out how much that saved me,
but easily worth the cost of several printers.

Assuming you printed black only for 30,000 pages @ 5% yield,OEM cost
would be $720 for 60 ink tanks. Aftermarket bulk @ $2.50 per oz would
be $125.

Assuming 30 total ink tank changes, CMYK, OEM cost would be about
$1350. Aftermarket bulk @ $2.50/oz would be $177.50.

How much you actually used only you know.

Head replacement given your volume is academic. Additional costs for
replacement tanks when they become gummed up not included. Typical
savings is 80% to 90% depending on model, cost of ink, cost of other
consumables, etc... etc...

measekite

I believe the other guy.  He said:

They aren't as satisfactory as the manufacturer's ink cartridges, and unless you want to risk having hassle instead of printing your stuff, avoid them at all costs

zakezuke

I believe the other guy. He said:They aren't as satisfactory as the manufacturer's ink cartridges, and unless you want to risk having hassle instead of printing your stuff, avoid them at all costs

You can believe the other guy until you are blue in the face. Whether
the results are satisfactory are up to the user. But in terms of cost
to operate, as you've pointed out in the past "you can save enough
money to buy a pizza once a week and send your child to prom".