Having problem using HP 1525NW on OSX

M

myfathersson

Is this a known problem with OSX or is there some reason I am having this problem please?

I had it set up as a network printer, working OK for a year or so before itsuddenly stopped working completely. I wonder if this was some OS update interfering with the printer because after some updates I have noticed thatApple updates HP printer software. But no HP update ever restores the 1525nw.

Annoyingly, when I try to scan in printer preferences for IP printers (I know that printer scan is working because it always sees my Canon network printer), no HP network printer comes up however long I wait. But if I disconnect from the wifi network, a 1525nw does flash into the list for about a half a second as something called a Bonjour printer before disappearing again..

I did try to be a wiseguy and hover over the space on the list when it appears and select it but the printer wouldn't 'ADD'. i also assumed that there werent any native drivers for HP in whatever version of OSX I am runningand downloaded some bloatware from HP but running that didnt do anything either. The Canon IJ Network tool never has any problems seeing and settingup the Canon network printer, - is the Canon software just better than theHP software?

Oh, I forgot to mention, this 1525nw works fine on this MBP in an XP VM!!!

D

DManzaluni

Annoying. But it seems OSX has some sort of problem with HP printers and whenever there is any OS upgrade, things like HP printers (and Canon cameras shooting RAW) have problems.

There is no mention of this in any release notes but if the firmware is upgraded, I'll bet that this printing in Mavericks problem disappears. (probably until the next OS upgrade)

Naughty that Apple seems to release endless HP printer updates in their OSs without addressing this problem.

G

Gernot Hassenpflug

DManzaluni said:
Annoying. But it seems OSX has some sort of problem with HP printers
and whenever there is any OS upgrade, things like HP printers (and
Canon cameras shooting RAW) have problems.

There is no mention of this in any release notes but if the firmware
is upgraded, I'll bet that this printing in Mavericks problem
disappears. (probably until the next OS upgrade)

Naughty that Apple seems to release endless HP printer updates in their OSs without addressing this problem.

Please note that with Mavericks (as with previous releases too) the
release notes specify that many printer models from various vendors will
no longer have supported drivers from the manufacturer.
So before upgrading your OSX version, it is necessary to clarify whether
one will lose support for some hardware or not.

M

myfathersson

I get your point though this is a comparatively recent printer which should be supported. As mentioned, naughty that Apple updates printer drivers in an OS Update without fixing this problem but the firmware update does let this printer work with Mavericks

Ask a Question