Canon i950 & i960 Questions

KC

Hi,

I've been pouring over the NGs researching which photo printer to buy.
I thought I was going with the Epson 960 but have recently been
convinced of going with the Canon i950 or i960. From my limited
knowledge I can see no discernable difference between these models
except that the i960 has USB 2.0 support, is $50 cheaper and won't be
available for another month. Can anyone let me know if they know of
any other differences between the models.

Also I was wondering if any current owners of i950 can let me know if
the printers can print borderless 8x10 pictures. The Canon
Specification Details mention all sizes specifically except 8x10 but
I'm sure people would complain if it were not possible.

Thanks for any feedback

Kevin

mike schmidt

Good luck on the Canon I950. I was walking one to the cash registers at
Compusa when I stopped to buy some spare ink cartridges. Guess what!! Not
only did they have only one of the six catridges, they claim they've never
had the others in. I don't having to order ink online, but I prefer to buy
them at a moments notice at a local store.

Maybe it was a fluke.

ajacobs2

"mike schmidt" Not
only did they have only one of the six catridges, they claim they've never
had the others in. I don't having to order ink online, but I prefer to buy
them at a moments notice at a local store.

Maybe it was a fluke.

Thick as flies at Bestbuy and CompUSA had a decent selection........

Stu

KC said:
Hi,

I've been pouring over the NGs researching which photo printer to buy.
I thought I was going with the Epson 960 but have recently been
convinced of going with the Canon i950 or i960. From my limited
knowledge I can see no discernable difference between these models
except that the i960 has USB 2.0 support, is $50 cheaper and won't be
available for another month. Can anyone let me know if they know of
any other differences between the models.

Also I was wondering if any current owners of i950 can let me know if
the printers can print borderless 8x10 pictures. The Canon
Specification Details mention all sizes specifically except 8x10 but
I'm sure people would complain if it were not possible.

Thanks for any feedback

Kevin

In answer to your question...

I have an i950 and 8x10 is not in the default list of paper sizes. You can,
however, add it as a custom size. I haven't tried printing with these
setting yet.

By the way, all of my friends who see the print quality from this machine
are blown away.

Stu

KC

Stu said:
By the way, all of my friends who see the print quality from this machine
are blown away.

Thanks Stu, thats the impression I've gotten. I was highly impressed
by the ouput of several printers last Christmas but didn't buy one.
I'm the technology has evolved even more since then. I think I've
decided to wait the month for the i960 just because it will be the
latest & greatest.

I see that in the UK models Canon has added the ability to print on
CDs, which is a main selling point of the comparable Epson. I don't
know why they would'nt add it on the US models as well, even if it's
just to be competitive. I did notice that the i960 does not list
T-shirt tranfers in their list of papers handeled and the i950 does,
not that this matters but why would that have changed.

As far as getting inks, I usually buy my inks at the Wholesale club or
else get them online. I usually buy and extra set and have them
available since I always run out at exactly the worst time. And
inevitably when I really need them, no store ever has my inks or
toners in stock.

Bowman

Stu said:
In answer to your question...

I have an i950 and 8x10 is not in the default list of paper sizes. You can,
however, add it as a custom size. I haven't tried printing with these
setting yet.

By the way, all of my friends who see the print quality from this machine
are blown away.

A friend of mine brought round some prints he had done on the i950, and told
me he'd mixed in some proper photo's with the prints to see if I could spot
them. I made my choices and when he told me they were *all* printed on the
i950 I really was stunned. Even on very close inspection I couldn't spot
any banding or obvious dots. I bought mine 2 days later. There's no
problems with spare inkjet cartridges here in the UK (well, at least where I
am on the outskirts of London). Having said that, my friend has printed
over 100 borderless 6 x 4's and he's still on the original cartridges.

I've printed several borderless A4's without problems so I'd guess
borderless 8 x 10's shouldn't be a problem.

Take it easy

Bowman

Steven Blackwood

Although you can select a custom size, you will not then be able to select
Borderless printing without the driver assigning a different size (letter).
At least this is what happened when I tried it on the S9000.

Angelfood MacSpade

I guess it's safe to assume that once again all of the new Canon
printers destined for the North American market will be striped of the
CD-DVD printing capability the rest of the world gets? Looks like I'll
be buying Epson again...

Larry

I've never had a problem getting ink.

-Larry

mike schmidt said:
Good luck on the Canon I950. I was walking one to the cash registers at
Compusa when I stopped to buy some spare ink cartridges. Guess what!! Not
only did they have only one of the six catridges, they claim they've never
had the others in. I don't having to order ink online, but I prefer to buy
them at a moments notice at a local store.

Maybe it was a fluke.

Luk

I too have been deliberating on the differences between
Canon printers and Epson printers.

One of my concerns has to do with ink cartridges. Epson
claims their prints have a longer life, owing to the quality
of the ink ( maybe their paper as well?)

I wonder whether prints done with Canon ink are just as durable.
Canon doesn't seem to write much about that. Any ideas out
there?

Question # 2: Is clogging a legitimate concern with the Epsons?
Or is it just the older printers that had a problem?

How frequently must the colors in an Epson printer be used
to ward off clogging?

Luk

Luk

Cari said:
It may be a year old, but check this article at PC World for fading
comparisions.

Thanks. This is quite a useful article. Surprising in some
respects. My (not new) HP printer seems to have come
out quite well in durability studies. However to get durable
prints it seems to be necessary to step up and buy the most
expensive papers.

Epson has some impressive numbers for ink durability, but
the papers that produce those impressive numbers aren't
cheap.

Luk

Oscar

Re Epson printers:

Epson cartridges, and I'm sure this goes for Canon also, clog if not used in
three days. In fact, I think the manual [or maybe a poster in the distant
past] recommended running the printer once daily to prevent clogging. Since
I'm not a pro and I can shoot pictures when the job permits, time and ink
were consumed unclogging the printer if I didn't use it within 3 days. This
is one of the reasons I went broke for an Olympus P400. Hope this helps.
Oscar

Tel

Rubbish! I have an Epson and have left it turned off for several weeks at a
time and never had a clog. And before you ask, I do not use Epson carts either.
There's a lot of crap talked about Epsons and their supposed ability to clog
every few minutes.

Fender Lizard

Oscar said:
Epson cartridges, and I'm sure this goes for Canon also, clog if not used in
three days.

I don't know about Epson but absolutely not true about Canon or the HP printers
I have. I just print whenever and sometimes not for a month or more and have
yet to ever have any kind of clog.
Chris

Ron Cohen

Wrong. Canon printers do not clog if not used in three days. Epson's appear
to have such a history, but Canon's do not.
--
Ron Cohen

Oscar said:
Re Epson printers:

Epson cartridges, and I'm sure this goes for Canon also, clog if not used in
three days. In fact, I think the manual [or maybe a poster in the distant
past] recommended running the printer once daily to prevent clogging. Since
I'm not a pro and I can shoot pictures when the job permits, time and ink
were consumed unclogging the printer if I didn't use it within 3 days. This
is one of the reasons I went broke for an Olympus P400. Hope this helps.
Oscar

Ben Oyle

Hey... I have a Canon I950 which keeps giving me a paper jam error, I spoke
to tech support and they said that the rollers need to be adjusted. Does
anyone know wher the adjustment is? I am a Tech and have tools just need to
know where I perform the alignment.
THANKS!
Oscar said:
Re Epson printers:

Epson cartridges, and I'm sure this goes for Canon also, clog if not used in
three days. In fact, I think the manual [or maybe a poster in the distant
past] recommended running the printer once daily to prevent clogging. Since
I'm not a pro and I can shoot pictures when the job permits, time and ink
were consumed unclogging the printer if I didn't use it within 3 days. This
is one of the reasons I went broke for an Olympus P400. Hope this helps.
Oscar

FredBillie

<< From: (e-mail address removed) (Fender Lizard)
Date: Sat, Nov 1, 2003 2:29 AM
Epson cartridges, and I'm sure this goes for Canon also, clog if not used in
three days.

I don't know about Epson but absolutely not true about Canon or the HP printers
I have. I just print whenever and sometimes not for a month or more and have
yet to ever have any kind of clog.
ChrisAgree. No problem with my Canon S900 and have had little, if any, problems with
my Epson 900.

hflaxman

I have an 890 and 870. I can leave them powered off for weeks-and no clogs.
With 3rd party ink. So much for your Epson theory.

Harry