Cannot send email messages

Dana

This is my first time using this so I hope I do this right. I am trying to
help my sister with her email problem. She is not having a problem receiving
emails but cant send. Is getting the following error message and outgoing
emails are sitting in her outbox. We are using a wireless connection at a
hospital where she is staying while being treated for cancer. Ok....too much
infomation. Sorry.

The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'shower', Account:
'mail.bellsouth.net', Server: 'mail.bellsouth.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25,
Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Gary VanderMolen

Your sister is running into a port 25 block. As a general rule, the owner
of the port 25 SMTP server you are using must be the same as the
entity providing your Internet connection at that moment. For more
on this anti-spamming issue see
http://www.postcastserver.com/help/Port_25_Blocking.aspx

The available workarounds when sending away from home are as follows:

1. Use webmail for sending (via your browser).
2. Ask your mail service provider if they have a port other than '25' for SMTP.
I believe that Bellsouth users can now use the AT&T/Yahoo mail servers,
which do offer SMTP on an alternate port (465). The settings for that are
given here:

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401738

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)