Cannot search contacts by fax number

iambigfish

HI everyone, I'm trying to search a huge contact list by fax number
since we use it to send mass faxes to our clients. My problem is I
cannot search by fax, if I enter a valid fax number nothing comes up.
This happens in Outlook 2003/2007.

Thanks!

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

State your search method.
All work fine here.
You've provided no information.

iambigfish

State your search method.
All work fine here.
You've provided no information.

I open Outlook 2007, select contacts, then in the top right I enter
the fax number 555-1212 and press enter, it then says 'No matches
found for '555-1212'.
The actually number is entered as (901) 555-1212, even if I enter the
full number (901) 555-1212 still no luck. This also happens on other
workstations.

Thanks in advance!

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

No wonder. You're using Instant Search. It is buggy and unreliable. Try
Advanced Find.

iambigfish

No wonder. You're using Instant Search. It is buggy and unreliable. Try
Advanced Find.

Excuse my ignorance but how do I access the 'Advanced Find'? :)

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Tools > Instant Search > Advanced Find...
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
No wonder. You're using Instant Search. It is buggy and unreliable. Try
Advanced Find.
--
Russ Valentine

On Nov 30, 10:46 pm, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"

[...]

Thanks I found it!

Although at first it didn't work until I selected to search All
Documents and not just contacts -- am I doing something wrong?

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

"All Documents?" That's not an option in any Advanced Find dialog I've ever
seen in Outlook 2007. Clarify where you see that. Are you starting your
search from your Contacts Folder?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Tools > Instant Search > Advanced Find...
--
Russ Valentine

wrote:
[...]

Tools -> Advanced Find
Then under 'Look for:', if I leave it on Contacts it found nothing,
once I changed it to 'All types of Outlook item' then it started to
work..

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Well that's rather different than "All Documents." That would suggest you
aren't in the correct folder when you start your search.
If you notice, the Query Builder for Instant Search does not include Fax
fields. That's why you must use Advanced Find.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"All Documents?" That's not an option in any Advanced Find dialog I've
ever
seen in Outlook 2007. Clarify where you see that. Are you starting your
search from your Contacts Folder?
--
Russ Valentine

wrote:
[...]

Hey sorry for the delay but I finally tried it out and it didn't work.
Does it matter that the contacts are located within public folders?

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

I'm sure it does.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Well that's rather different than "All Documents." That would suggest you
aren't in the correct folder when you start your search.
If you notice, the Query Builder for Instant Search does not include Fax
fields. That's why you must use Advanced Find.
--
Russ Valentine

wrote:
[...]

I tried it and it doesn't work -- any ideas or am I dong something
wrong?

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

No. You've brought a completely different set of conditions into the
picture. I don't use Exchange.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

wrote:
[...]

:)

wrote:
[...]

Any suggestions? Repost this question ?

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Two.
Don't bottom post in these groups.
Repost in an Exchange group with all the relevant details in the first post
rather than making someone drag them all out.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
No. You've brought a completely different set of conditions into the
picture. I don't use Exchange.
--
Russ Valentine

On Dec 4, 9:33 pm, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <[email protected]>
wrote:
I'm sure it does.
--
Russ Valentine

wrote:
[...]

wrote:
I'm sure it does.
--

wrote:
[...]

Will do.

Thanks for ALL your help Russ, you've been great!