Cannot read "All Programs" menu

Catt

Hi, I have Windows XP SPack 3 When I choose "All Programs" from the start
button I cannot read the last column on the right. The columns (and there
are four) are much too wide. If I put the cursor off screen it will open the
title in the screen display but I cannot see the names of the programs. In
order to find a program I'm looking for I have to slowly go through the list.

How can I adjust it so that all of the program names fit on the screen?
Thanks
Catt

Tim Meddick

If I understand you right - just re-name the longer of the names to
something shorter. Or you could use the 'Personalized Menus' option in
'Start Menu' > Settings > 'Taskbar and Start Menu' to make the menus only
show abbreviated and "frequently used" items. This would reduce your number
of columns.

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :)

Elmo

Catt said:
Hi, I have Windows XP SP 3 When I choose "All Programs" from the start
button I cannot read the last column on the right. The columns (and there
are four) are much too wide. If I put the cursor off screen it will open the
title in the screen display but I cannot see the names of the programs. In
order to find a program I'm looking for I have to slowly go through the list.

How can I adjust it so that all of the program names fit on the screen?
Thanks
Catt

You probably need to create a few folders, titled possibly "Utilities",
"Browsers", "HTML", "Burners", "Games", etc., and drag the different
programs into the new folders till you've narrowed the amount of columns
to two or three. That's what I do occasionally, anyway..

Jose

Hi, I have Windows XP SPack 3  When I choose "All Programs" from the start
button I cannot read the last column on the right.  The columns (and there
are four) are much too wide.  If I put the cursor off screen it will open the
title in the screen display but I cannot see the names of the programs.  In
order to find a program I'm looking for I have to slowly go through the list.

How can I adjust it so that all of the program names fit on the screen?
Thanks
Catt

Are you using the Classic Start menu or that other one? Can you tell
my preference?

For the Classic Menu:

Maybe Windows is keeping your programs list "clean" for you. It will
only show you the 5 most recently used programs by default. It won't
start any higher than the top of the Programs section by default. How
rude.

If you are using the Classic Start menu, right click the Task Bar,
Properties, Start Menu, Customize, uncheck Use Personalized Menus at
the bottom (click the ? on these options to read about them). Also
uncheck Scroll Programs. Apply, OK, OK, etc., etc. Mine takes a
minute to apply everything.

If you are not using the Classic Start menu, still find the Scroll
Programs under Properties, Advanced and turn it off. The Use
Personalized option doesn't exist here.

Now see what that does for you. You may/will have to experiment.

Creating new folders for grouping programs is a good idea if you have
lots of programs installed. Put all your games in one folder,
utilities in another, etc. Move 10 offered programs into one folder,
etc.

Another tip is that over time, the order of presented programs will
change from 0-9, A-z (folders), A-Z (Programs). Right click in the
offered list and choose to Sort by Name to straighten it out.

Someone may suggest changing your screen resolution. I would consider
that the very, very, very, very last option.

Leythos

Increase your screen resolution.

your time.

kraut

Hi, I have Windows XP SPack 3 When I choose "All Programs" from the start
button I cannot read the last column on the right. The columns (and there
are four) are much too wide. If I put the cursor off screen it will open the
title in the screen display but I cannot see the names of the programs. In
order to find a program I'm looking for I have to slowly go through the list.

How can I adjust it so that all of the program names fit on the screen?
Thanks
Catt

I had a similar problem so I just changed the Start menu to the
classic view like in Windows 98.

Just a thought and my solution.

E-mail address altered to foil spam.
Reply to news groups for all to see please.

_
/ )
(\__/) ( (
) ( ) )
={ }= / /
) `-------/ /
( /
\ |
,'\ , ,'
`-'\ ,---\ | \
_) ) `. \ /
(__/ ) )
(_/

(\__/)
)oo(
={ >}=

Leythos

From: "Leythos" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Subject: Re: Cannot read "All Programs" menu
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 17:53:58 -0700

Increase your screen resolution.

--
The Real Truth http://pcbutts1-therealPIRATE.blogspot.com/
your time.

As you can see from the headers, PCBUTTS1 continues to be unethical and
is still impersonating me.

Abuse reported to att/prodigy.

Leythos

How many complaints are you going to file before you will realize that it is
not a valid complaint and nothing will be done? Are going to file a
complaint on everyone who posts with the name Leythos. You need to grow up.

I will continue to file complaint and they may inclued other items not
related to just the impersonation - if you don't understand a TOS/AUP
then I can't expect you to comprehend PCBUTTS.

You might want to think about the Damage you're doing to your already
bad image.

Leythos

And you really think ATT will believe your lies? Tell me are you going to
blame ATT like you blamed her hosting company when they did not believe you?
Your posting history shows that you will.

The thing you seem to be missing is that I have truth and honesty on my
side Chris. The thing that you have is unethical actions, hosting porn
on your website, stalking, impersonating others in a malicious way....

You keep showing your lack of ethics and proving that what has been said
is true about you butts.

Leythos

Your sick obsession with her is so bad you keep calling me Chris. You think
that everybody that defends her is her. Your mind is so screwed up you can't
tell fact from fiction. I am going to ask you the same question next week to
see what your excuse will be this time. You are a sick person please get
help.

Again, as long as the impersonations of myself continue I will defend my
name, period. It's that simple, and you are making yourself look
completely unethical - keep it up.

Tim Meddick

You're not fooling anyone. It's just so obvious that you are one and the
same person. For a start off, you all use the same language and the word
"Troll" which no-one else does. It's woefully outdated!

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :)

Graham W

You're not fooling anyone. It's just so obvious that you are one and the
same person. For a start off, you all use the same language and the word
"Troll" which no-one else does.

I agree. He also keeps tripping up by saying "impersonations of
myself". The only person that can impersonate himself is him.

GW

Richard

Catt said:
Hi, I have Windows XP SPack 3 When I choose "All Programs" from the
start button I cannot read the last column on the right. The columns
(and there are four) are much too wide. If I put the cursor off
screen
it will open the title in the screen display but I cannot see the
names
of the programs. In order to find a program I'm looking for I have to
slowly go through the list.

How can I adjust it so that all of the program names fit on the
screen?
Thanks
Catt

Hi, someone else has mentioned you can put program shortcuts into
sub-folders by categories, to reduce clutter. Also, switching to a
higher screen resolution allows more information to be displayed, if you
have microscopic eyesight.

There are a number of ways to customize your Start Menu. The width of
each column depends on whatever item has the longest name. You can
right-click/rename some items. (You may need to press ALT to collapse
the display and re-click Start to see the effect.) If your Start Menu is
set to use LARGE icons, you can get more items displayed in each column
by switching to small icons.

Right-click on Start button, choose Properties.

Click the Customize button beside the Classic Start menu item, or if you
are using that "other" (new_look_un_feel) menu, click the "other"
Customize button.

If using Classic, among the Customizable items in the "Advanced Start
menu options", look for and checkmark:
[*] Show Small Icons in Start menu

Note the item just above that, called:
[_] Scroll Programs
The right-click "What's This?" dialog help tip on that item says:
"Specifies whether to display the items on the Programs menu as one long
scrolling menu or as horizontal pages. Depending on your screen
resolution, if you have more than 29 or 38 programs installed, and you
select to have one long scrolling menu, you can access the programs you
don't see by clicking the arrow at each end of the list of programs."
("29 or 38"? Is that a Microsoft typo for "29 or 30"? :)

You might want to try that Scroll thingy. I don't use that option.

If using that "other" kind of Start Menu, after you click Customize, on
the General tab, select: "Small icons".

On the Advanced tab, right-click and "What's This" on various choices
for explanations of the features. In that Start menu items list, you
will also find the "Scroll Programs" item, the same as Classic, except
when you right-click that "other" Scroll Programs item, and "What's
This", you don't get that detailed information, like the Classic, but this
generic message that is the same for every item:

"Lets you choose the items you want to display on the Start menu. You
can choose to display items in submenus or as links you can click to
open the program directly."

(Oh well, so much for helpful tips for that "other" Start Menu. :)

You're welcome.
--Richard