Cannot open AD utils

Major Problem. W2K server sp4, single d
Get the following error message when opening an AD utility such as Users and Computers.
Naming information could not be located because network path not found. Also get "network path not found" when logging on as Roaming profile. also "cannot open DHCP server" when opening dhcp util
I am unable to find the same problem anywhere on all help sites
We had a virus get onto server. not worked since
I have tried the following with no luck
System state restore, with a known working AD
Secedit - to restore security default
ldp.exe shows everything o
dcdiag o
saw similar problem that said isp dns settings can cause problem, removed them and enabled forwarders, still no jo
i have restarted NETLOGON and various other services
made sure sysvol is shared.
short of reinstalling w2k and hoping for the best i am at a loss as to what to do next? PLEASE help?
Any suggestions would be appreciated

David Pharr [MSFT]

Does netdiag /v indicate any problems? Do you have Zone Alarm installed
(this loaded two files called minilog.exe and vsmon.exe from the system32
folder that interfered with ldap requests in a previous case with that
error).

Since you know the problem was the result of a virus, you should rebuild
that server from scratch to remove any remnants of the virus. If you have
a known good System State from a time prior to receiving the virus, after
you format the drive and reinstall Windows 2000 you should be able to then
restore the System State to get your AD information back.

240363 HOW TO: Use the Backup Program to Back Up and Restore the System
State
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=240363

David Pharr, (e-mail address removed)

| From: "=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Cannot open AD utils
| Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 10:21:05 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
|
| Major Problem. W2K server sp4, single dc
Get the following error message when opening an AD utility such as Users
and Computers.
Naming information could not be located because network path not found.
Also get "network path not found" when logging on as Roaming profile. also
"cannot open DHCP server" when opening dhcp util.
I am unable to find the same problem anywhere on all help sites.
We had a virus get onto server. not worked since.
I have tried the following with no luck:
System state restore, with a known working AD.
Secedit - to restore security defaults
ldp.exe shows everything ok
dcdiag ok
saw similar problem that said isp dns settings can cause problem, removed
them and enabled forwarders, still no joy