Cannot install Windows Xp (Upgrade Version, or Full)

Rickie

Hi there, after recieving my Novell Suse Linux 9.1 Pro Technical
Resource pack in the post, i decided to try it out, i used the Yast
installer to create my own partitions for linux (keeping my windows
partition in tact) and the install process worked great, however, i
couldnt boot into windows, it would show my bootscreen, then give me a
BSOD or a Message telling me NTLDR was missing. So i went up to my
local computer shop and got a copy of the Bootable windows xp, and
tried to recovery console, but it said somthing along the lines of
'Drive Not Valid' So i tryed to re-install windows xp, pressed F8, and
on the partiotion section it said 'Setup Cannot Access This Disk', So
i used mandrake linux's Drak X to Format my harddrive, and tried
again. I created 2 partitions, a FAT32 partions that was 10GB, and a
NTFS partition that was 26GB, Then setup began copying files to the
Fat32 partition, and rebooted, my computer said 'Press any key to boot
from Cd.......... Missing Operating System' So i tryed to install to
the ntfs partition..no luck.
So i looked everywere for my windows 98SE cd, and installed that.
Worked fine. But i cannot install windows xp, using Upgrade or New
Installation, When i boot up My Computer, i get 4 Options.
'Microsoft Windows Xp Professional
Microsoft WIndows Xp Professional
Windows 98
Microsoft Windows Xp Professional Setup'

The top 2 give me the 'load needed DLLs for Kernel' Or
'<systemroot>\system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt, please
reinstall....'
'Windows 98' Boots Windows 98 fine
And the Windows Xp Professional Setup Gets to the 'Setup is starting
windows' Section, and them gives me a BSOD 'Stop: 0x0000007B
(0xF7Af763C, 0xc0000034,0X0000000000,0..).

I have tried replacing the hal.dll, but no luck.
Any Suggesstions?

Star Fleet Admiral Q

Suggest by now the Partition table is hosed, along with the Master
Boot Record (MBR) - if it was me, I'd wipe out all the partitions and
start over - also WinXP is finicky about using non-MS products for
formatting, let XP do the NTFS and/or FAT32 formatting.

Rickie Anderson

I've tried, but then all i get is 'Error Loading Operating System' Even with
fixboot and fixmbr. Windows Xp Would upgrade fine when i had Windows Me

"Star Fleet Admiral Q"

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Rickie,
The top 2 give me the 'load needed DLLs for Kernel' Or
'<systemroot>\system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt, please
reinstall....'
This error suggests a mismatch between the hal and kernel files, since this
is a clean install, this shouldn't happen unless one of these file is
getting corrupted during the installation.
Are you using F5 and adding in a HAL?
Is the media unmodifed? ( No updates or drivers have been slipstreamed into
the media or drivers added during install) Have any files been modified or
are any unattended setting being used?
1) check the memory with a memory testor:
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
2) check the disks to make sure there aren't any issues with the drive, the
controller, the cabling, the partitioning, or the formatting, inlcude
looking at lowering the DMA transfer rate.
3) Is the processor over-clocked?

'Windows 98' Boots Windows 98 fine
And the Windows Xp Professional Setup Gets to the 'Setup is starting
windows' Section, and them gives me a BSOD 'Stop: 0x0000007B
(0xF7Af763C, 0xc0000034,0X0000000000,0..).
This error points back to storage? Are the correct drivers present? What
controller is it?
What model drive is it?
Recheck the cabling and any jumper settings on the drive?
Are the CD-rom and Hard drive on the same cable or separate cables?
Lower the DMA on the CD-ROM

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Rickie Anderson

I think the bootable cd has xp1 slipstreamed on (the dude at the computer
shop did it)
1) Do you no any freeware/trial's that wont take too long to download on
56k?
2)Cabling, partitioning and formatting are fine. But whats DMA?
3) Yes, but only by 56Mhz.
4)Its a Seagate 5400RPM 40GB hdd, i dotn no specifically as i only found the
model number whilst using windows xp.
Also, i've tried a 'Clean Install' But i just got a 'Error Loading Operating
System' At Boot, Even with fixmbr and fixboot.
Hello Rickie,