Cannot get link to work in Frontpage 2002

Leef

I am running XPPro, with Frontpage 2002, current with all updates.

I have a webpage that exists in the root directory of my web, Page16.htm

It has a link to a webpage that exists in a directory OFF of the root,
\Rovings\ limit1.htm.

At the top of limit1.htm, there is a link "Return to Page 16" that should
link back to Page16.htm. For some reason, when clicking on the hyperlink
"Return to Page 16", it does nothing. I have set this hyperlink by using
the hyperlink icon at the top of Frontpage, by clicking on, and selecting
Page16.htm in the root, but it still does not return to that page when using
the link.

What can I do to get this link to work?

Any help would be most appreciated!

Sincerely,

Leef

Steve Easton

Is it published so you can post a URL to the page??

Have you tried it in "Preview in browser"??

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

Thomas A. Rowe

Try with no spaces:

"../Rovings/limit1.htm"

and make that you are always working in a open FP web (File Menu | Open Web).

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Leef

Dear Steve,

No it is not published. It is a web site that I put on a cdrom. I have
tried it in preveiw and it just does nothing when I click on it.

Leef

Dear Thomas,

I have no problem getting to the limit1.htm, from Page 16. The problem is
that the link from limit1.htm that goes BACK to Page16.htm does not work.

Schematic

Page16.htm (root of web directory)--->click on link on Page16.htm goes
to----->limit1.htm, which exists in a directory off of the
root\Rovings\limit1.htm

I placed a hyperlink on limit1.htm "Return to Page 16", which when clicked
on should bring me back to Page 16, but when I click on it, nothing
happens.... I followed the normal procedure of highlighting the phrase,
clicking on the hyperlink icon, and choosing "Page16.htm". No error
messages or anything. But it just does not work.

Thanks,
Leef

?

=?Windows-1252?Q?Rob_Giordano_\=28aka:_Crash_Gordo

Don't use Preview tab at the bottom of FP...
Use File|Preview in Browser, see what happens then.

| Dear Steve,
|
| No it is not published. It is a web site that I put on a cdrom. I have
| tried it in preveiw and it just does nothing when I click on it.
|
| | > Is it published so you can post a URL to the page??
| >
| > Have you tried it in "Preview in browser"??
| >
| > --
| > Steve Easton
| > Microsoft MVP FrontPage
| > 95isalive
| > This site is best viewed............
| > .......................with a computer

| > > I have a webpage that exists in the root directory of my web, Page16.htm
| > >
| > > It has a link to a webpage that exists in a directory OFF of the root,
| > > \Rovings\ limit1.htm.
| > >

| > > At the top of limit1.htm, there is a link "Return to Page 16" that
| should
| > > link back to Page16.htm. For some reason, when clicking on the
| hyperlink
| > > "Return to Page 16", it does nothing. I have set this hyperlink by
| using
| > > the hyperlink icon at the top of Frontpage, by clicking on, and
| selecting
| > > Page16.htm in the root, but it still does not return to that page when
| using
| > > the link.
| > >

| > > What can I do to get this link to work?
| > >

| > > Any help would be most appreciated!
| > >

| > > Sincerely,
| > >
| > > Leef

Thomas A. Rowe

When you create you links, you do have a web open (File Menu | Open Web) in FP, correct?

Also make sure the path is using /, not \

root\Rovings\limit1.htm

should be for one level below root

Rovings/limit1.htm
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Leef

It still does not work. I publish the web to another directory and when I
run it there, it does not work either.

"Rob Giordano (aka: Crash Gordon®)" <[email protected]>
wrote in message Don't use Preview tab at the bottom of FP...
Use File|Preview in Browser, see what happens then.

| Dear Steve,
|
| No it is not published. It is a web site that I put on a cdrom. I have
| tried it in preveiw and it just does nothing when I click on it.
|
| | > Is it published so you can post a URL to the page??
| >
| > Have you tried it in "Preview in browser"??
| >
| > --
| > Steve Easton
| > Microsoft MVP FrontPage
| > 95isalive
| > This site is best viewed............
| > .......................with a computer

| > > I have a webpage that exists in the root directory of my web,
Page16.htm

| > > It has a link to a webpage that exists in a directory OFF of the root,
| > > \Rovings\ limit1.htm.
| > >

| > > At the top of limit1.htm, there is a link "Return to Page 16" that
| should
| > > link back to Page16.htm. For some reason, when clicking on the
| hyperlink
| > > "Return to Page 16", it does nothing. I have set this hyperlink by
| using
| > > the hyperlink icon at the top of Frontpage, by clicking on, and
| selecting
| > > Page16.htm in the root, but it still does not return to that page when
| using
| > > the link.
| > >

| > > What can I do to get this link to work?
| > >

| > > Any help would be most appreciated!
| > >

| > > Sincerely,
| > >
| > > Leef

Leef

Yes the web is open

Here is a snippet from the html where it shows the syntax of the link:

<BODY vLink=#700070 link=#007373 bgColor=#ffffff background="../back.gif">

The phrase "Return to Lagniappe Page" should link back to Page 16 in the
root, but nothing happens when I click on it.

Stefan B Rusynko

Is the path correct (../page16.html) 1 level up to page16.html
Is the file name / extension / case (on Unix servers) of the file correct?
- you keep calling it Page16.htm and the link is to page16.html
--

| Yes the web is open
|
| Here is a snippet from the html where it shows the syntax of the link:
|
| <BODY vLink=#700070 link=#007373 bgColor=#ffffff background="../back.gif">
|
| The phrase "Return to Lagniappe Page" should link back to Page 16 in the
| root, but nothing happens when I click on it.
|
| | > When you create you links, you do have a web open (File Menu | Open Web)
| in FP, correct?
| >
| > Also make sure the path is using /, not \
| >
| > root\Rovings\limit1.htm
| >
| > should be for one level below root
| >
| > Rovings/limit1.htm
| > --
| > ==============================================
| > Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| > WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
| >
| > FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
| > ==============================================
| > To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
| > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp

| > > I have no problem getting to the limit1.htm, from Page 16. The problem
| is
| > > that the link from limit1.htm that goes BACK to Page16.htm does not
| work.
| > >
| > > Schematic
| > >
| > > Page16.htm (root of web directory)--->click on link on Page16.htm goes
| > > to----->limit1.htm, which exists in a directory off of the
| > > root\Rovings\limit1.htm
| > >
| > > I placed a hyperlink on limit1.htm "Return to Page 16", which when
| clicked
| > > on should bring me back to Page 16, but when I click on it, nothing
| > > happens.... I followed the normal procedure of highlighting the phrase,
| > > clicking on the hyperlink icon, and choosing "Page16.htm". No error
| > > messages or anything. But it just does not work.
| > >
| > > Thanks,
| > > Leef

| > > > and make that you are always working in a open FP web (File Menu |
| Open
| > > Web).

| Page16.htm

| root,

| > > should
| > > hyperlink
| > > using
| > > selecting
| when
| > > using

Leef

Dear Stefan,

Yes, the link is correct. The file is page16.html in the root of the
directory, just as it is typed in the link.

Any ideas?

Sincerely,
Leef