cannot find SHELL.DLL

somebody help! when I start windows I get the error message "cannot find
SHELL.DLL" and when I try to install a screensaver I get the same thing plus
it also says "corrupt or missing DLL's"
hep me,,, hep me please!

Peter Foldes

Couple of things. It is ussually AdAware that removes this file in very rare circumstances. First do the following.

Start\Search and look for it by typing in shell32.dll

Next if it not found then download the file from here http://www.freevbcode.com/ShowCode.asp?ID=818 and install it to the System32 folder in C:\System32

Next if you do find it then try registering it and always reboot after this step

Click the Start menu
Click Run
Type Regsvr32 C:\Winnt\System32\DLLcache\Shell.dll

Li'l Roberto

Couple of things. It is ussually AdAware that removes this file in very rare
circumstances. First do the following.

Start\Search and look for it by typing in shell32.dll

Next if it not found then download the file from here
http://www.freevbcode.com/ShowCode.asp?ID=818 and install it to the
System32 folder in C:\System32

Next if you do find it then try registering it and always reboot after this
step

Click the Start menu
Click Run
Type Regsvr32 C:\Winnt\System32\DLLcache\Shell.dll

Peter

to the OP
That could be Regsvr32 C:\Windows\System32\DLLcache\Shell.dll

rgds
Li'l Roberto

Peter Foldes

How in the heck did I get Win2000 mixed up with this. Thanks for pointing it to me and to the OP

David Candy

You are both mad. It's shell.dll not shell32.dll, and there may be a copy in system folder but it is only used from the system32 folder. It's in system because some programs look there for it before deciding if they can run or not. But it can only be loaded from System32 (windows intercepts attemps to load from system and loads the system32 one).

You can't register shell.dll. You should not register anything in the dllcache (as it may be emptied at some later date).

In short all the advice given here is wrong and some harmful..

Li'l Roberto

--
Peter

and thanks to DC for pointing out both our errors ;-)
GO THE CROWS !!

rgds
Li'l Roberto

David Candy

The reason why shell is in system and programs look for it is that it was a redistributable file, that is programs installed later versions of it.

S.Sengupta

He is asking for Shell.dll not shell32.dll.

shell.dlll is located under c:\windows\system folder and one in the
c:\windows\system32 folder.Check there.
If it gets deleted from system32 then system file protection ought to
restore it - instantly - from the dllcache.
I shall also advice to scan the system wheteher there is any malware or not.

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

Peter Foldes

Thank you David.

--
Peter

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message The reason why shell is in system and programs look for it is that it was a redistributable file, that is programs installed later versions of it.

O.K. Thanks for all the input so far, however ,I have done a search for it ,
and it is there in sys.32 , and I used "spybot" , "ad-aware" , "registry
mechanic" , "error nuker" as well as "microsoft baseline security analyser"
and nothing can find the problem! What is one to do?????