From: "RonM" <[email protected]>
Subject: Cannot find Netgear router
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 08:56:29 +1100
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web

Strange one here. I recently purchased a 4 port Netgear router
FWG114P
running 2 x Win98 SE and 2 XP Pro PCs. I am NOT using the Wireless
option
available on this router. One of the XP Pro PCs will not allow me to
look
at the router address 192.168.0.1. However, it will allow me to ping
the
other PCs on the hub and the other PCs can ping the problem XP PC. To
check
if this was something internal to the XP-Pro installation on the
problem PC
I located an Internet Access Router (IAR) in the shop with the address
of
192.168.0.1. I obtained a crossover cable and connected the problem
XP Pro
PC to the IAR. I was able to ping it and http:// to the menu and
managed the
device. This proved to me that the windows environment was not
excluding
the 192.168.0.1 address. I then reconnected to the Netgear router
and I
still cannot manage or ping the 192.168.0.1 router address and again I
can
ping the other PCs on the router and vice versa. I have spent hours
on this
trying different settings in the TCP/IP and problem still exists.
IPCONFIG
addresses are W/S 192.168.0.50 mask 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway
192.168.0.1. Any suggestions anyone? RonM

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

The Netgear won't be running NetBEUI, so that's unlikely to help.
To the OP - are you running DHCP from the Netgear, and is your XP box set to
receive a DHCP address? Have you tried repairing winsock? (search google for
winsockfix)