Cannot download a CSV file in Win XP ?

Nancy

I previously was able to download and account file (CSV format) to
my old Win98SE PC with no problem. I tried to do it using my new
Win XP Media 2005 PC and it won't do it. It does not come up with
the window which asks me where I want to save it, although if
I try to download the same file in Quicken or Money it does works.

When I click on download it says, "transferring file:
https:/www.xxxxonlinebanking.org/account/historydownload.asp"
and then it appears as a txt file or an error report
"missing file: https:/www.xxxxonlinebanking.org/xxxxxxxstyle.css"

(The xxx's are to protect the actual name of the bank.)
I did try downloading this file on another Win XP PC and it worked ok?

Is this something with my Win XP or the bank's program.

Thanks in advance for the help !

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

Hi,

Since MediaCenter edition is a special edition, we have a queue:
microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter

I think it is more approprate place for your issue.

Thanks for understanding.

Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

that others
may learn and benefit from this issue.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,and confers no rights.

Nancy

Thanks for the info Vincent. I've posted it there as you suggested.

May I ask a question. I was told that Media Edition is XP Pro w/
Media functions. Is this correct ? If so should I get a "Using XP Pro"
or "Using XP Media" book for learning and reference?

Thanks in advance for your help Vincent.
Nancy

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

Hi Nancy,

Thanks for your understanding.

I'm not sure if there is a such manual but I think you can refer to
following link first.

<http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/default.mspx>

and call Microsoft to see if there is such manual.

Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

that others
may learn and benefit from this issue.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,and confers no rights.

Nancy

I tried this Vincent but with no luck. I would think this is an XP issue
not media since the file I'm trying to download is a CSV which I convert
into an excel XLS file for keeping. Any other suggestions would be
appreciated.
Nancy

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

Hi Nancy,

You can have a try :

In reset the correct file association for the files:

Open Windows Explorer
Find and highlight one of the files
Click Tools>Folder Options>File type
Scroll down the list until you find the file type you want the file to be
opened with
Click Change and then OK
Close and then try it again

If the program that you want to open the file with is not in the list,
thenyou can add it by doing the following.

Highlight the file>right click>select Open with
If the program you want to open the file with is not in the list, click
Browse. Navigate to the program folder and highlight the application .exe
and click Open. Then check the box that says Always use the selected
program to open this kind of file Then ok out

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

PLEASE NOTE: The partner managed newsgroups are provided to assist with
break/fix issues and simple how to questions.

We also love to hear your product feedback!
Let us know what you think by posting
from the web interface: Partner Feedback
from your newsreader: microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback.
We look forward to hearing from you!
that others
may learn and benefit from this issue.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,and confers no rights.

Nancy

Vincent, it's not the association that is the problem. I can't even get
the CSV file to download into my hard drive. It's that it "won't" down-
load onto my laptop, although it will on my son's laptop with XP.
When I click on the site to download, the windows asking where I
want to save it "doesn't" open. What it does is ................
When I click on download it says, "transferring file:
https:/www.xxxxonlinebanking.org/account/historydownload.asp"
and then it appears as a txt file or an error report
missing file: https:/www.xxxxonlinebanking.org/xxxxxxxstyle.css"
Thanks,
Nancy

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

Hi Nacny,

Would you please send me a screen shot of the error message?

If you don't want others know the protected link or filename, you can send
it to my email: (e-mail address removed)

Thanks.

Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

that others
may learn and benefit from this issue.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,and confers no rights.

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

Hi Nancy,

I suspect the scenario is: A page generates HTML that allows the user to
choose which reports to run and in which mode (excel or html) the report is
to be displayed.For either case a new window is opened to display the
results.The web site is a secured site. I have following suggestions:

A. Since this issue happens to IE, I think resetting IE setting to default
may helps.

1. Delete the cookies

1) Click Start, click Search and click For Files or Folders
2) Type "Cookies" (without the quotation marks) and click Search Now
3) Delete files in the cookie directory

2. Delete all the temporary files

1) Open Internet Explorer
2) Click Tools, click Internet Options and click Delete Files button in the
General tab

3. Delete the downloaded objects

1) Open Internet Explorer
2) Click Tools, click Internet Options and click settings button in the
General tab.
3) Press View Objects.
4) Remove all the Objects there.

4. Remove the Plug-Ins in Internet Explorer

1) Close all the Internet Explorer windows.
2) Open a Windows Explorer window by right Click My Computer and choose
Explore.
3) Locate the following folder:
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS
4) Remove all the files in this folder.

5. Delete SoftwareDistribution folder

1) Stop Automatic Updates service.
a. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc.
b. In the right pane, stop the Automatic Updates service.
2) Delete C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder.
3) Test the issue again.

6. Reset all settings of Internet Explorer

1) Under the General tab, click Clear history button.
2) Under the Security tab, click Default Level button.
3) Under the Content tab. Under Content Advisor the button default is
"Enable..."
Click on "Clear SSL" under Certificates, and click on "OK."
4) Under "Local Area Network (LAN) settings" click on the "LAN Settings..."
button - remove all checkmarks and settings unless actually required to use
a proxy and close the window
5) Under the Programs tab, click Reset Web Settings.
6) Under the Advanced tab, click Restore Defaults button.
Under Browsing put a checkmark into or remove the checkmark from "Enable
third-party browser extensions (requires restart)".
7) Click on "Apply", then "OK"
8) Close Internet Explorer and restart the computer.

7. Disable all third party Add-ons

1) Open Internet Explorer.
2) Click Tools to select Manage Add-ons.
3) Disable all third party Add-ons.

B. Re-register IE related DLL files. Run following commands in command
prompt

regsvr32 urlmon.dll
regsvr32 mshtml.dll
regsvr32 shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 browseui.dll
regsvr32 msjava.dll
regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 vbscript.dll
regsvr32 scrrun.dll
regsvr32 msxml.dll
regsvr32 actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 shell32.dll
regsvr32 softpub.dll
regsvr32 wintrust.dll
regsvr32 initpki.dll
regsvr32 dssenh.dll
regsvr32 rsaenh.dll
regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll
regsvr32 sccbase.dll
regsvr32 slbcsp.dll
regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll

C. reregister excel using /unregserver and then /regserver Forces Excel to
register itself and then quit
1. Start, run,
2. "D:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\EXCEL.EXE" /unregserver
3. "D:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\EXCEL.EXE" /regserver

From: "Nancy" <[email protected]>
Subject: Cannot download a CSV file in Win XP ?
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 23:06:56 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage

[...]

Okay Vincent. I did what you suggested down to #5 and tried it again.
Didn't work. It's doing the same thing.

I have restored my system (deleted items) by restoring the deleted items
from my Recycle Bin. Reset the Web Settings. Etc.

Do I still need to do #6B of re-register IE related DLL files, etc?

Now is my system completely restored?
I'm a little nervous about all these instructions as I have only been
using Win XP for a couple of weeks. I've been a Win98SE user
for several years.
Thanks,
Nancy

From: "Nancy" <[email protected]>

From: "Nancy" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 23:06:56 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage

TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA02.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNG P0
4.phx.gbl

[...]

You don't need to restore anything in Recycle Bin which was deleteed in
Section A.

Actually, section A is from #1-#7, please try them again.

If the problem still occurs, please try Section B&C.

From: "Nancy" <[email protected]>

From: "Nancy" <[email protected]>