Access Cannot create files from MS Access on Windows 7

Reaction score
My access 2007 database works just fine on XP and Vista. However for users with Windows 7 I cannot create external files, such as OutputTo PDF, or create a FreeFile For Append (leads to error 76: Path not found.)
Does this happen with all my Windows 7 users? I don't know, I only hear from the ones that break :(.
So I can write to the backend database but not create any external files.
The application sits in its own directory C:\Appname\App which contains all the files.
It fails to create files to C:\Appname\Reports :mad:
It fails to backup to C:\Appname\Backup :mad:

Any ideas?
Thanks
Russ

Reaction score
Hi there
The users are private owners running as administrators ( so they say ) . One user, using Access 2010 runtime on Windows 7, mentioned today he 'got a warning from Access when closing asking if he trusts the program'.
This lead me to think of trusted locations. I have asked for the literal wording of the message. In theory the application writes the directory to trusted location at startup.
This application is spread over 150 stand alone users and has been working fine for 5+ years and now I know of two with this issue.

On one instance, the user mentioned above gets 'Error 76 Path not found' when opening a FreeFile to a directory the application creates at install; Open myEmailLog For Append As #intFile. This sounds like permissions.

Bit of a show stopper and a mystery.
Regards
Russ

Ask a Question