Cannot connect to one of the Win2K servers with OS9

Jarg

Hi there,

Starting yesterday one of our Win2K servers is inaccessible from OS9
clients. These same clients can access other servers fine. Also Windows
and OSX clients can connect fine.

I have reinstalled file services for Macintosh on the server, added new
shares on the server, uninstalled several service packs that were installed
yesterday morning, but still no luck.

Scott

William Smith

Jarg said:
Hi there,

Starting yesterday one of our Win2K servers is inaccessible from OS9
clients. These same clients can access other servers fine. Also Windows
and OSX clients can connect fine.

I have reinstalled file services for Macintosh on the server, added new
shares on the server, uninstalled several service packs that were installed
yesterday morning, but still no luck.

Hi Scott!

Your issue sounds like a problem with Appletalk. You can confirm this by
trying to use the Mac OS 9 Chooser's "Connect by IP Address" button and
entering the server's IP address. If you can connect then your file
sharing is working fine but Appletalk is just not broadcasting the name
of the server.

Look at the properties pane of the server's NIC and verify that
Appletalk is set to share the server using that NIC.

Hope this helps! bill

Jarg

Hi and thanks for responding. We are not using Appletalk to connect, so
that isn't the problem.

Scott

William Smith

Hi Scott!

You referred to having Mac OS 9 clients and using File Services for
Macintosh on the server. Although this setup doesn't necessarily require
Appletalk to be active to make a connection, you must be using Appletalk
if you're expecting the Mac OS 9 clients to "see" the server in the
Chooser.

If seeing the server in the Mac OS 9 Chooser isn't what you're referring
to then can you explain what you're noticing when you say one of your
"W2K servers is inaccessible from OS 9 clients"?

Thanx! bill

Jarg

Hi Bill, and sorry if my description of the problem was unclear.

The procedure we use to connect is:

Go to chooser, then select Appleshare, then select "Connect using IP
Address". At that point we are prompted for authentication, which hangs and
eventually fails with the message "the connection to the server has been
unexpectedly broken".

As I mentioned before, we can connect using Windows clients as well as OSX
clients.

Scott

Hello,

We are having the exact same problem Can someone please
help!!

Thanks,

--
William M. Smith
(Microsoft Interop MVP)

Jarg said:
Hi and thanks for responding. We are not using Appletalk to connect, so
that isn't the problem.

Scott

news:mecklists- (e-mail address removed)...

William Smith

Jarg said:
Hi Bill, and sorry if my description of the problem was unclear.

The procedure we use to connect is:

Go to chooser, then select Appleshare, then select "Connect using IP
Address". At that point we are prompted for authentication, which hangs and
eventually fails with the message "the connection to the server has been
unexpectedly broken".

As I mentioned before, we can connect using Windows clients as well as OSX
clients.

Hi Scott!

Now that explains things.

When you connect from your Mac OS X clients are you using "smb://" or
"afp://"?

If "smb://" then try "afp://".

If "afp://" fails then your File Services for Macintosh are not properly
configured on your server or not properly installed. Mac OS 9 clients
use AFP although you never use "afp://" as part of the string when
connecting through the Chooser.

If you are using "afp://" on your Mac OS X machines then you probably
have your Mac OS 9 machines' TCP/IP configured improperly. This is
possible if you're using static IP addresses.

I'm assuming that since you're using the "Connect using IP Address"
method that your Macs are on one side of a router and your server is on
the other side with the router not passing Appletalk. Is this correct?

bill

Jarg

You are correct that we have tried to connect across a router, but we also
took a OS9 client out to the site and tried to connect within the LAN - this
also failed. Our clients are all using DHCP and that configuration has not
changed recently. Also, the OS9 clients can connect to all of our other
Win2K servers. The problem is only occurring on one server and the problem
seems to have started after we did the hotfixes last Wed. The Appletalk
protocol is showing as installed in the NIC properties.

We tried your suggested test of using smb and afp on a OSX client and it
could connect with both.

Scott

William Smith

Jarg said:
You are correct that we have tried to connect across a router, but we also
took a OS9 client out to the site and tried to connect within the LAN - this
also failed. Our clients are all using DHCP and that configuration has not
changed recently. Also, the OS9 clients can connect to all of our other
Win2K servers. The problem is only occurring on one server and the problem
seems to have started after we did the hotfixes last Wed. The Appletalk
protocol is showing as installed in the NIC properties.

We tried your suggested test of using smb and afp on a OSX client and it
could connect with both.

Hi Scott!

For cryin' out loud! That's just weird!

My last guess is that your server may have a higher level of security
set for your Mac connections. It may be set to require a level of
encryption to make the connection. Check your server's Computer
Management console and verify the security for Mac connections (right
click Shared Folders, I think). Is it set to Microsoft Only or will it
allow clear text passwords, which are needed by Mac OS 9 unless you have
the Microsoft UAM installed?

bill

Jarg

William Smith said:
Hi Scott!

For cryin' out loud! That's just weird!

My last guess is that your server may have a higher level of security
set for your Mac connections. It may be set to require a level of
encryption to make the connection. Check your server's Computer
Management console and verify the security for Mac connections (right
click Shared Folders, I think). Is it set to Microsoft Only or will it
allow clear text passwords, which are needed by Mac OS 9 unless you have
the Microsoft UAM installed?

bill

I checked the File Server for Macintosh properties, and security is set fo
"Apple Clear Text or Microsoft". We tried using the UAM on a OS9 client
earlier.

I also compared registry listings for Appletalk on the problem server and a
functioning server and there were some inconsistencies, though nothing I
could clearly identify as a problem. Addtionally I checked the NIC drivers
and settings on both machines and they matched.

Scott

kenchee

Please try the following ...

Option click on the ok button after you have selected the Win2k server in
Chooser. This will bring up the login window. Login as per normal.

Althornin

kenchee said:
Please try the following ...

Option click on the ok button after you have selected the Win2k server in
Chooser. This will bring up the login window. Login as per normal.

Yes, we know this - but the problem is that it will NOT automatically
reconnect to the share - and you want to try and train my users to do
that, when they couldnt do it without the option-click thrown in?