Mac OS9 and accessing existing shares on Server 2003/2000 at login

Maurice

Hello

I have Windows Server 2003 and a Mac OS9 client. I can login
successfully but the only volume that comes up is the Microsoft UAM
volume,
which I have copied into the AppleShare folder (with Chooser, etc
closed).

However none of the shares on Server 2003 are visible. In
particular, we have a "Personal" directory (with numerous domain-user
subfolders) and a "Lab_data" directory for
example, which are accessible by users on Windows and Mac OS X
computers
(using SMB). There seem to be no options for exposing the existing
shares on the Server 2003 computer to the Mac OS 9 clients under
Computer Management -> Shared Folders -> Shares. I know that NEW
shares can be created and have a Macintosh-enablement option. I can't
help but think I am missing something obvious. Searching "macfile" in
help suggests though that if you have have shared folders under
Shares, that those will just be naturally shared under mac file
services, which is indeed installed and running.

Strangely, our old NT4 Server allows one to create Mac volumes from
existing shares, so there's got to be a way to do it under Server 2003
I'd think. When you login to the NT4 machine from a Mac OS9 computer,
you get volumes "Personal" and "Lab_data" as ones that can be
accessed.

If anyone has any insight on this issue, it'd be appreciated.

Jim Seifert [MSFT]

Each Macfile share must be created in one of two ways, in Computer Manager
by creating a new share or using the command - macfile volume /add.
The syntax of this command is:

MACFILE VOLUME /ADD
[/SERVER:\\computername] The default is local.
/NAME:volumename
/PATH:root directory path
[/READONLY:TRUE|FALSE] The default is True. (There is a
bug here - the in build help says false.)
[/PASSWORD:password] The default is no password.
[/MAXUSERS:number|UNLIMTED] The default is unlimited.

Maurice

Hi Jim,

Does the Macfile command allow one to take an existing Windows share
and Macfile-enable it _after_ it's already been created? For example,
I have a directory C:\Personal that is shared \\Server\personal . It
appears that one must Macintosh-enable a share at creation otherwise
you must start over.

In my situation, I didn't have Macintosh services installed when I
originally setup the server and created/shared "Personal" but now
several months later need to Mac-enable a number of shares for MAC OS9
clients. I installed Mac-services just a couple of days ago on Server
2003.

Thanks for the help.

Jim Seifert said:
Each Macfile share must be created in one of two ways, in Computer Manager
by creating a new share or using the command - macfile volume /add.
The syntax of this command is:

MACFILE VOLUME /ADD
[/SERVER:\\computername] The default is local.
/NAME:volumename
/PATH:root directory path
[/READONLY:TRUE|FALSE] The default is True. (There is a
bug here - the in build help says false.)
[/PASSWORD:password] The default is no password.
[/MAXUSERS:number|UNLIMTED] The default is unlimited.

newsgroup purposes only.

Maurice said:
[...]

Yes you can enable macfile sharing on an existing windows file share. The
macfile volume command does not change windows sharing. In your case the
command

macfile volume /add /name:personal /path:c:\personal

ought to enable Mac clients to access the share named personal.

newsgroup purposes only.

Maurice said:
[...]

It works as you describe- Thanks, Jim. Mac OS 9 clients can now access
the Personal share directory that was originally created before
Macfile services were installed.