Windows XP Cannot connect directly to second computer

Reaction score
I am trying to move files from an old laptop to a new one. I have a RJ-45 cable and had no problems setting up a network connection allowing incoming connections on the old laptop, but when I go to create a network connection on the new laptop it only offers me the option to accept incoming connections, the option to connect directly to the other computer is shaded out.

I tried creating a connection to accept incoming connections, but even then it wouldn't allow me to use a direct parallel cable but only the modem!

Obviously I am missing something, but what?

Reaction score
do u see the connection icon on both computer and laptop?

first problem could be that you are using the wrong type of rj45 cable
if u do see the connection icon great

i hope both operating systems are windows xp
if so make both pcs on the same workgroup and then u will be able to share/copy files
if u cant get access turn off your firewalls temporarily

give us some more details aswell.

Reaction score
If your new machine has XP and the old has 9x you will have to make a setup floppy disk. In "control panel network connections" is a wizzard to do this with "setup a small home or network". Just exe in your old machine, reboot and do what psd99 says and you should connect.

On your old machine right click on the drive, propertys, share the dirve

Last edited:
Reaction score
Laurel,

This should be simple, for some reason windows tries to make it more difficult than necessary.

First off as suggested above make sure that your using a cross-over RJ45 network cable as apposed to a straight through (or patch) cable.

Then just set the first machine network adapter with an IP of 192.168.0.1 and the second machines network adapter as 192.168.0.2.

Then on the source machine (the one your moving data from) share a folder then from the destination machine goto run and type the UNC path eg, \\SOURCEPC\SharedFolder (where source PC is the name of the first computer and sharedfolder is the name of the folder you shared on the source)

Then simply copy or move the data to a location on the destination machine.

J

Reaction score
There is allways about three different ways to try it.

You can find the computer name in the old PC, control panel - system - computer name

Make sure the Work Group is the same.

Try doing a search in your new PC.

Search - computer or people - a computer on the network

Type in the name of the computer old computer click on search.

I fogot what to do from here but I think its easy.

Reaction score
Yes if you dont have a hard to find cable for doing it. Get a hub and use two cables. donin all that stuff above wont do squat uless ya use a hub or a modified techs cable to do it. Now that ya have two PC's ya might want a hub anyway about $30.

Oooops I laysi and dont use spell check!!!

Reaction score
laurel2626 said:
I am trying to move files from an old laptop to a new one. I have a RJ-45 cable and had no problems setting up a network connection allowing incoming connections on the old laptop, but when I go to create a network connection on the new laptop it only offers me the option to accept incoming connections, the option to connect directly to the other computer is shaded out.

I tried creating a connection to accept incoming connections, but even then it wouldn't allow me to use a direct parallel cable but only the modem!

Obviously I am missing something, but what?
Techy said:
Laurel,

This should be simple, for some reason windows tries to make it more difficult than necessary.

First off as suggested above make sure that your using a cross-over RJ45 network cable as apposed to a straight through (or patch) cable.

Then just set the first machine network adapter with an IP of 192.168.0.1 and the second machines network adapter as 192.168.0.2.

Then on the source machine (the one your moving data from) share a folder then from the destination machine goto run and type the UNC path eg, \\SOURCEPC\SharedFolder (where source PC is the name of the first computer and sharedfolder is the name of the folder you shared on the source)

Then simply copy or move the data to a location on the destination machine.

J
Probably the dead-on solution for what you're after. I don't know where you are but if you're in the States you can probably get a free scrap cross-over cable from a networking shop, or for a 6-footer at most it might cost a couple bucks. If they charge more than that call them cheapskates. Back in the day (before i knew anything about anything) I had the exact same problem. By the bye, cross-over cables are perfect in a multi-machine environment when you only use one of the boxes most of the time but you still need to swap files once a month or something. Really cheap, really secure (as long as you keep the network isolated).

HTH

chris.

Reaction score

If you have a FIREWALL it is perhaps its the problem...

Norton Antivirus Firewall... haved block my NETWORK and AVG

If you have Norton... delete them... and download AVG, is a Antivirus Free without firewall

Check too... Windows Protection SP2 !

GooD LucK !

Reaction score
All tha above advice is valis and will work.

When I had this problem I ended up buying a switch and a couple of cat5 patch cables - works fine and is really easy to set up. Also has the advantage that you can then add further computers to your network for the cost of a cat5 cable.

If you are in the UK a company called SVP [co.uk] supply all you need - I got my 8-way switch and some cat 5 cables for about £15 all up.

Have Fun

Picman

Ask a Question