Cannot complete the CD writing wizard

G

Until yesterday I did not have any problems burning CDs. Then, I started getting the "cannot complete the CD writing wizard" error message.

I already tried the following things I looked up on the web and none worked:
- Starting IMAPI manually
- Setting IMAPI to automatic
- Uninstalling the CD burner and installing it again
- Restoring the system to a week before I had problems
- Checking the "enable CD recording" is on
- Also tried using Nero, Drag'n Drop and Windows Media Player, but none would record

Trying again today, I could burn a couple of CD-RW but I still got the error message: that is, it recorded but told me there was an error.

Is there anything else I can try before taking my laptop to a repair center?

Additional info:
- The CD reads fine, the problem is only writing
- I'm working on a Toshiba Satellite P10-S429 running on Windows XP

Thanks,
Francesca

G

thanks divakartandon. I just tried that but it did not work. Any other idea? thx again.

M

Microsoft Preferred Customer

I suggest reinstall the drivers for the CDR for your system. Sometimes drivers get corrupted or wrong drivers get installed (mainly generic)
by Microsoft Automatic Updates. Have you got original CDs that came with your Tosh? If not then you will need to go to Toshiba's website to
download the drivers.

hth

G

tks hth. just tried the recovery dvd but the drive won't read it. also went to toshiba but could not find the driver... i'll keep trying

G

I recommend to change the drive

Francesca said:
tks hth. just tried the recovery dvd but the drive won't read it. also went to toshiba but could not find the driver... i'll keep trying

G

Have you tried cleaning the CD drive with a commercial CD lens cleaner? They
are available for $10 - 15 at most consumer electronics or office supply
stores.

Kurt Van Allsburg

Ask a Question