Cannot Add\Remove Program

G

When I got the machine add/remove programs worked fine - it stopped working somewhere between updating active x to the latest version and updating office 2000 with all its patches. When I click on add/remove programs (in control panel) - after a fresh boot- there is a breif hour glass then nothing. From then on - nothing happens at all
Unfortunately I cannot restore to a previous time because - for some reason all the set points were remove

Anyone know what to do? I do not see re-installing windows as an answer - because the same problem is likly to occur whith software updates.

G

Thanks Roger - I have XP home - this looks like it is for windows 2000 - is it ok to use?

R

roger

Hi JA,

When I got the machine add/remove programs worked fine - it stopped working somewhere between updating active x to the latest version and updating office 2000 with all its patches. When I click on add/remove programs (in control panel) - after a fresh boot- there is a breif hour glass then nothing. From then on - nothing happens at all.
Unfortunately I cannot restore to a previous time because - for some reason all the set points were remove?

Anyone know what to do? I do not see re-installing windows as an answer - because the same problem is likly to occur whith software updates.

Add/Remove Programs applet does NOT open?
http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBM/tip6000/rh6032.htm

Good luck, hope this helps

R

roger

JA,

Thanks Roger - I have XP home - this looks like it is for windows 2000 - is it ok to use?

It should work OK.
To fix the problem:

1. Open a CMD.EXE prompt.

2. Type regsvr32 mshtml.dll and press Enter and OK.

3. Type regsvr32 shdocvw.dll -i and press Enter and OK.

4. Type regsvr32 shell32.dll -i and press Enter and OK.

5. Close the CMD window.

Windows 2000 and Windows XP are both NT based systems and similar.

Good luck

G

Hey Hello Roger,
I tried what you wrote below, but my "add/remove program" link still doesn't work. Do you have any more ideas of what to do?

Ask a Question