Can Only Open IE W/O add-Ons

ColTom2

Hi:

I have a friend who can only open his Internet Explorer W/O Add-Ons.
Regardless of clicking on desktop icon or iexplore.exe file Internet
Explorer opens without add-ons. Naturally in this mode when he tries to
access Manage Add-ons it is grayed out. He is running IE version
7.0.5730.13.

How can he access and open Internet Explorer with Add-ons?

Thanks,

ColTom2

Don Varnau

Hi,
1. Right-click the IE icon on the Start Menu, choose Properties. Go to the
Shortcut tab. In the Target field, if "-extoff" is at the end of the path to
iexplore.exe, edit it out leaving "C:\Program Files\Internet
Explorer\iexplore.exe" (leave the quotes.)

2. Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing> check "Enable third-party browser
extensions."

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

ColTom2

Hi Don:

His Target Field does not have the "-extoff" at the end of it for IE. I
have had him click on iexplore.exe file,
as I mentioned previously, and it still open's W/O Add-ons.

Also, he does have a check by "Enable third-party browser extensions.

Have anymore suggestions?

Thanks,

ColTom2

1. Right-click the IE icon on the Start Menu, choose Properties. Go to the
Shortcut tab. In the Target field, if "-extoff" is at the end of the path to
iexplore.exe, edit it out leaving "C:\Program Files\Internet
Explorer\iexplore.exe" (leave the quotes.)

2. Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing> check "Enable third-party browser
extensions."

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Don Varnau

Hi,
Which version of XP? If it's XP Pro or Media Center, go to Start> Run>
gpedit.msc Does Policy Editor open? XP Home does not have Group Policy
Editor.

If Policy Editor opens, navigate to User Configuration> Administrative
Templates> Windows Components> Internet Explorer. Check that "Do not allow
users to enable or disable add-ons" is set to "Not configured."

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

ColTom2 said:
Hi Don:

His Target Field does not have the "-extoff" at the end of it for IE. I
have had him click on iexplore.exe file,
as I mentioned previously, and it still open's W/O Add-ons.

Also, he does have a check by "Enable third-party browser extensions.

Have anymore suggestions?

Thanks,
ColTom2

1. Right-click the IE icon on the Start Menu, choose Properties. Go to the
Shortcut tab. In the Target field, if "-extoff" is at the end of the path to
iexplore.exe, edit it out leaving "C:\Program Files\Internet
Explorer\iexplore.exe" (leave the quotes.)

2. Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing> check "Enable third-party browser
extensions."

ColTom2

Hi Don:

Sorry, but he has XP Home Edition.

Next?

ColTom2

ColTom2 said:
Hi Don:

His Target Field does not have the "-extoff" at the end of it for IE. I
have had him click on iexplore.exe file,
as I mentioned previously, and it still open's W/O Add-ons.

Also, he does have a check by "Enable third-party browser extensions.

Have anymore suggestions?

Thanks,
ColTom2

1. Right-click the IE icon on the Start Menu, choose Properties. Go to the
Shortcut tab. In the Target field, if "-extoff" is at the end of the path to
iexplore.exe, edit it out leaving "C:\Program Files\Internet
Explorer\iexplore.exe" (leave the quotes.)

2. Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing> check "Enable third-party browser
extensions."

Don Varnau

Try...
Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing> UNcheck "Enable third-party browser
extensions."
Restart the computer.
Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing> CHECK "Enable third-party browser
extensions."
Restart.
- - -
Then, run this test. Startup in Safe Mode. If the problem disappears, a
program which didn't load in Safe Mode is the cause.
315222 - A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP:

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

ColTom2 said:
Hi Don:

His Target Field does not have the "-extoff" at the end of it for IE. I
have had him click on iexplore.exe file,
as I mentioned previously, and it still open's W/O Add-ons.

Also, he does have a check by "Enable third-party browser extensions.

Have anymore suggestions?

Thanks,
ColTom2
1. Right-click the IE icon on the Start Menu, choose Properties. Go to the
Shortcut tab. In the Target field, if "-extoff" is at the end of the
path
iexplore.exe, edit it out leaving "C:\Program Files\Internet
Explorer\iexplore.exe" (leave the quotes.)

2. Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing> check "Enable third-party browser
extensions."

ColTom2

Hi Don:

I will not be able to do any more testing with friend tonight. Hopefully
will pick back up tomorrow afternoon.

I also was wondering if he had a Registry change/corruption that changed
some settings or values that could have caused this....just an afterthought.

Thanks again for all your effort.

ColTom2

ColTom2 said:
Hi Don:

His Target Field does not have the "-extoff" at the end of it for IE. I
have had him click on iexplore.exe file,
as I mentioned previously, and it still open's W/O Add-ons.

Also, he does have a check by "Enable third-party browser extensions.

Have anymore suggestions?

Thanks,
ColTom2
1. Right-click the IE icon on the Start Menu, choose Properties. Go to the
Shortcut tab. In the Target field, if "-extoff" is at the end of the
path
iexplore.exe, edit it out leaving "C:\Program Files\Internet
Explorer\iexplore.exe" (leave the quotes.)

2. Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing> check "Enable third-party browser
extensions."

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Give him this:

You may have a horked (dirty; bad; flawed) install of IE7. I suggest that
you...

1. Uninstall IE7 (which automatically returns you to IE6) EXACTLY per
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html

2a. Uninstall all toolbars and third-party Windows Themes (including Window
Blinds).

2b. Disable all Norton Add-ons, if applicable.

3. Reinstall IE7 EXACTLY per
http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install, and using
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/default.mspx as the installation
source, not Automatic/Windows Update.

Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.

4. IMMEDIATELY go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any
critical updates offered. If a "Root Certificates" update is listed in the
Optional category, you might install it, too, to take full advantage of
IE7's additional security.

Also see:

IEBlog : IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/10/11/IE7-Installation-and-Anti_2D00_Malware-Applications.aspx

ColTom2

Hi Pa Bear:

Thanks so much and I will follow your instructions even though it might be
a few days before I can accomplish them. I will report the results back to
this posting when completed.

Thanks,

ColTom2

[...]

You the man! Worked like a charm and everything is back as it should be. I
wished that his laptop had had a faster CPU, but in the end everything came
out just right!

I burned the IE7 download to a CD and took it with me, but his Dell laptop
was the slowest that I have ever seen. Of course having Norton on it did not
help a bit....