Can not demote a server

Dooma

I rename on of my domain controllers without demoting it. Sorry it was a
mistake. Now, I can not demote this server anymore. It says that RPC is
unavailable even though RPC is running on all my domain servers.

MY old server name is still showing in my AD sites and servers. When I tried
to delete it says "the DSA object can not be deleted". Any ideas?

Thanks

Mike Shepperd [MSFT]

Look at the following two articles. The first details the process to
actually demote the machine forcefully. The second describes the process
of cleaning up the remnants in AD when you're done.

332199 Using the DCPROMO /FORCEREMOVAL Command to Force the Demotion of
Active
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=332199

216498 HOW TO: Remove Data in Active Directory After an Unsuccessful Domain
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=216498

Let me know if these don't point you to the resolution.

--
Mike Shepperd MCSE Windows 2000/NT 4.0
Support Engineer

originated.

--------------------
| From: "Dooma" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Can not demote a server
| Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 18:08:53 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
|
| I rename on of my domain controllers without demoting it. Sorry it was a
| mistake. Now, I can not demote this server anymore. It says that RPC is
| unavailable even though RPC is running on all my domain servers.
|
| MY old server name is still showing in my AD sites and servers. When I
tried
| to delete it says "the DSA object can not be deleted". Any ideas?
|

| Thanks

Dooma

Thanks, It worked. The problem now is that after I demoted the server it is
still there in AD sites and services. When I try to delete it says that "the
DSA object can not be deleted". How can I get rid of it?

Mike Shepperd [MSFT]

The steps in KB article 216498 should walk you through deleting the
remaining data through adsiedit. You also need to make sure that there are
no lingering DNS records in the _msdcs folder for the forward lookup zone
and that there are no left over objects for that server in AD Sites and
Services.

Mike

--------------------
| From: "Dooma" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Can not demote a server
| Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 13:27:13 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
|
| Thanks, It worked. The problem now is that after I demoted the server it
is
| still there in AD sites and services. When I try to delete it says that
"the
| DSA object can not be deleted". How can I get rid of it?
|

| | > Look at the following two articles. The first details the process to
| > actually demote the machine forcefully. The second describes the
process
| > of cleaning up the remnants in AD when you're done.
| >
| > 332199 Using the DCPROMO /FORCEREMOVAL Command to Force the Demotion of
| > Active
| > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=332199
| >
| > 216498 HOW TO: Remove Data in Active Directory After an Unsuccessful
| Domain
| > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=216498
| >
| > Let me know if these don't point you to the resolution.
| >
| > --
| > Mike Shepperd MCSE Windows 2000/NT 4.0
| > Support Engineer
| > Enterprise Platforms Support
| > Directory Services Team

| rights.
| > Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
| > http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
| >
| > Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this
| > message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they
| > originated.
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "Dooma" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Can not demote a server
| > | Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 18:08:53 -0500
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory

cpmsftngxa07.phx.gbl!cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA05
| > phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl
| > |
| > | I rename on of my domain controllers without demoting it. Sorry it
was a
| > | mistake. Now, I can not demote this server anymore. It says that RPC
is
| > | unavailable even though RPC is running on all my domain servers.
| > |
| > | MY old server name is still showing in my AD sites and servers. When I
| > tried
| > | to delete it says "the DSA object can not be deleted". Any ideas?
| > |
| > |
| > | Thanks
| > |