CameraCaptureDialog in Motorola ES400 WM 6.5

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm testing my app in WM6.5 and when i use CameraCaptureDialog the camera open but stay behind my application, i can see the title and its open bur behind my app. I a create another app with a form to call them and its works fine.

Any suggestion?

Im going crazy...

Thanks
A.Rocha

PS: sorry for my english...

Reaction score
CameraCaptureDialog on ES400

I'm having exactly the same issue with an ES400.
The CameraCaptureDialog call results in a "hidden" camera window.
Did you ever solve this?
Regards
Derek

Reaction score
Same issue

I'm having the same issue. It goes a little further though. Even though the dialog shows behind my app I can still press the camera button on the side of the phone to take a picture. Then press the Ok button and it's supposedly saving. The dialog returns DialogResult.Ok but there is no image saved.

Reaction score
Yes I've seen exactly the same thing. In my case I've discovered that the issue is interconnected with SQL CE. If I disable database access the issue does not occur. Also it seems to be related to a parent form calling a child form which then displays the CameraCaptureDialog.

Frustratingly I can't reproduce the issue in a simple test project! If I move enough of my "real" project to the "test" though I eventually get the error.

It only happens on the ES400; the same code works flawlessly on the MC55 and has been working for months.

This issue seems to be related to this one reported here:
http://forum.soft32.com/pda/Managed-CameraCaptureDialog-class-Unknown-Exception-ftopict61805.html

You may want to check out Alex's page:
http://alexmogurenko.com/blog/directshownetcf/

He's very prompt with questions I've sent him.

Reaction score
I've found that the ultimate cause of this issue is how much memory an application is consuming when it tries to display the camera capture dialog. The ES400 ships with a custom camera capture dialog that's a memory hog compared to the standard dialog that most other devices use. I've found that if my application is consuming more than 10MB when I try to display the dialog, it's going to fail in the weird way you've all described.

To revert back to the standard camera dialog, delete or rename the "OEMCameraCaptureDLL" value under the following registry key:
Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Pictures\Camera\OEM]
"OEMCAMERACAPTUREDLL"  <-- Delete!

Optionally, if you also want to revert the program that gets launched when you select Camera and Pictures and Videos on the device, set the following registry value:

Code:
  "CameraApp"="\windows\pimg.exe"

Reaction score
I've found that the ultimate cause of this issue is how much memory an application is consuming when it tries to display the camera capture dialog. The ES400 ships with a custom camera capture dialog that's a memory hog compared to the standard dialog that most other devices use. I've found that if my application is consuming more than 10MB when I try to display the dialog, it's going to fail in the weird way you've all described.

To revert back to the standard camera dialog, delete or rename the "OEMCameraCaptureDLL" value under the following registry key:
Code:
"OEMCAMERACAPTUREDLL"  <-- Delete!

Optionally, if you also want to revert the program that gets launched when you select Camera and Pictures and Videos on the device, set the following registry value:

Code:
  "CameraApp"="\windows\pimg.exe"
Hi ckarcher, that's perfect, you shot the target.
Motorola ES400 OEMCameraCaptureDll has memory problem, so your instructions were really usefull

But now that standard camera dialog appears the problem is to control it. I mean to turno on or off the flash, to turn on off the autofocus, to change dimensions and resolution.
How can i do theese operations? Must I change some registry keys?

Thanks for every help, bye

Reaction score
Ok, i found everything i need on registry, but AUTOFOCUS ENABLE/DISABLE parameter

Some idea?

Reaction score
Hi,

For reasons too complex to develop here, I need to reproduce this bug on my phone (I know there is an application that triggers this bug on my phone, but I can acces neither its executable nor its source code). Anyway, I need to reproduce this bug so that I can experiment ways to fix it (yes, i know, it sounds like :fool:).

I tried to build a test app that allocates approximately 16Mb of memory, I tried to create a sql connection and keeping it open, but whatever I do, the cameracapturedialog is just working fine here... (as DerekM mentioned, it seems difficult to reproduce this issue on a simple project)

Would anybody here be kind enough to share a piece of code that triggers that cameracapturedialog misbehaviour please ?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Thanks.

That solution works for me, but still facing some issues with ES400 camera on using "windows/pimg.exe".
It displays the camera preview window with OK and Cancel buttons . However, pressing OK or the hardware camera button does not actually take a picture-- both display an error message that the picture couldn't be captured and to try again later. The user must press the "return" key on the hardware keyboard to take the picture, then press OK.

Please let me know if somebody face the same issue and resolved.

Last edited:
Reaction score
In order to use the yellow key for the camera app pimg.exe you should start it with the parameter "camerekey"

Ask a Question