Cable vs ADSL?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Have many people here used both of these options, and what do they think of them compared to each other?

Cable is only about £15 now and ADSL about £20. I know the theoretical benefits, but how does this translate in terms of the real world?

I've got ADSL at the moment, but haven’t used cable :)

Reaction score
IMHO

ADSL Relies on BTs network (amusingly called Colossus, the Greek statue that fell into the sea under its own weight) which I don’t particularly rate, even though the peering is quite good. The upload on ADSL is worse and the maximum bandwidth (2mb) is not going to get any better because of the physical limitations of the local wiring. Cable on the other hand, could be upped to 10mb/s without changing local wiring, only the network infrastructure.

wildone

King of Modding
Reaction score
Cable IMHO is better,unless your like a friend of mine and lives about 60 feet from an ADSL booster station and get like 10mbs bandwidth,but 9.5 times out of 10 cable is faster and nearly always in uploads,and even when my cable is fully loaded,I still average 1mbs or better dling,and around a mbs up.Also you should note that cable can be uncapped where as DSL cannot since it is set at the station.But overall I would say they are about equal,I say this because most webpages and games would show no difference on a machine running one or the other,but if you download like I do,then you would completely understand.My cable is about 3mbs down and 1.5 up,but is only advertised as 1.5 mbs.

wildone

Reaction score
i have the cheapest and slowest dsl available, whereas my friend has 1.5mb cable. i have never had any connection problems of amy sort, but my friend continualy disconnects and gets very poor bandwidth. im sure that there's probably a good explanation for that, and im not sure what you guy's experience is with cable, but i would stay stick to dsl

Ask a Question