C(rap) Cleaner - Any Good?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I keep hearing about Ccleaner, or as it used to be known Crap Cleaner. Anyone got anything good to say about it? I ran the free scan and it tells me that I have hundreds of problems !

Is this just a scare tactic to get people to buy their product or is there anything in it? Their blurb, as usual, suggests it's the answer to all problems.

I'm always very reluctant to even think about these sort of products unless lots of people can verify their claims. Anyone out there got any experience of it?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It's a very good piece of software, I use it regularly.

And it's free. If something calling itself Ccleaner or crap cleaner is asking for money - beware - it's probably a fake with adware as well.

Download only from File Hippo.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks for that Flops. I downloaded from Hippo, did the scan, got a message saying I had lots of problems and then got directed to a site asking for money !

It suggests that only the first three problems will be fixed for free. I must have missed something somewhere. When you use it does it sort out all your problems for free?

I'll try it again. :thumb:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
OK, I've downloaded again from Hippo and now got the thing PROPERLY installed.

The analysis has come up with a long list of stuff. Is it OK to now run the Cleaner? I'm not likely to wreck the computer am I?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
How peculiar :confused:

That first one was a rogue program, there are lots of them out there.

I don't even bother with the analysis anymore, just run the program.

I've never had a problem in several years of using it.

Be aware you will lose all your cookies though, which will mean having to go through full log on again at every online place you visit, including this forum and any online banking you use, for instance.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Works ok for me . An they do a portable version that you can run of a usb stick and its only 2.5 MB . Works in linux aswell .

user.gif

Reaction score
I have been running Ccleaner for several months now and have had no problems with it. It does what it says, cleans out your Temp. files, cookies, cache and what not. but like stated earleir, if you have places that you log into, you will have to relog into them again, when you clear your cookie file.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I use it on XP, never had any problems ... not bothered with it for Vista, I just use DiskCleanup in Vista.

:user:

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
... not bothered with it for Vista, I just use DiskCleanup in Vista.
How come? Why not just use Disk Cleanup for Windows XP?

I've been using CCleaner since being a member here (after seeing it being recommended so much) and I'm glad I bothered to install it; it's great. It gets rid of those pointless/left behind registry entries :bow:

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
billybobbbuddy said:
I have been running Ccleaner for several months now and have had no problems with it. It does what it says, cleans out your Temp. files, cookies, cache and what not. but like stated earleir, if you have places that you log into, you will have to relog into them again, when you clear your cookie file.

Reading the posts it seems some are missing a setting that is available.

For sites that you log in regularly and trust you can set the program to keep your cookie.

Simply open CCleaner and on the left side click the "options" button then in the next window that opens choose "cookies" and you can pick and choose sites to keep or leave them where they are to be deleted when you do your cleaning.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Spezi said:
For sites that you log in regularly and trust you can set the program to keep your cookie.

Nice find Spezi. :nod: Works a treat.:thumb:

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
billybobbbuddy said:
Ok Spezi, I didn't know that! Thanks for the info.

Welcome. Glad to be of help.

It sure makes the program that much nicer to use.

Ask a Question