Buying a GENUINE copy of XP

Well i have realised that the computer i'm running off (this very one) is
running an ILLEGAL copy of windows .. or at least the Cd-key is illegal. So
what i have decided to do is go out and buy a genuine copy of windows XP to
install. But what i need to know is whether when i go to install this new
genuine windows, will i be able to simply update my system with this new
software and CD-Key without having to start ALL OVER AGAIN and losing saved
documents etc...

Thanks!

Why i think the software is illegal? Because i have alerts and popups from
microsoft saying it is.

Or

Why do i think it will wipe my computer? Because i don't know alot about the
Windows Xp installation.

David Candy

The fact that the computer tells you so doesn't make it so. Is there any reason, apart for the alert, that would make you think it is illegal - like did you buy it off the back of a truck in a pub.

David Candy

Don't you think you should check that it is illegal before reccommending a large expenditure of money - $484.05 in Australia.

Winux P

Crikey David! You got ripped off, I paid $AUD 480.00 for mine. ;~0).

- Winux P

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Don't you think you should check that it is illegal before reccommending a
large expenditure of money - $484.05 in Australia.

Wesley Vogel

Microsoft is not infallible and neither is their software.

I just opened a folder, clicked Help, clicked Is this copy of Windows legal?
and got this...

[[We’re sorry, but there is no Microsoft.com Web page that matches your
entry. It is possible you typed the address incorrectly, or the page may no
longer exist. ]]
http://www.microsoft.com/library/er...ath=/resources/howtotell/windows/default.aspx

Just like the instructions here...

You cannot download Windows Genuine Advantage updates on a Windows XP-based
computer that you purchased from an Original Equipment Manufacturer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914225

They can't even keep that straight. LOL

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In

David Candy

I've bought 1 x Dos 3.3 OEM and 1 x Win 3.1 retail in my life. MS has given me all other versions.

I wouldn't take any advice from someone like Carey Frish because his
credentials are asuspect and his advice is always wrong.

You will be better off removing that stupid tool (WGA) planted by Microsoft
on some machines recently to increase its revenue intake from Windows XP
before it is replaced by another buggy OS!!.

Carey Frish is the Most Valueable Perv on this Nesgroup.

steam3801

Don't you think you should check that it is illegal before reccommending a large expenditure of money - $484.05 in Australia.

Que??????? $98 at Harvey Norman or $104 Dick Smith/Officeworks (Pro
Academic Upgrade ... and who can't get hold of an old copy of 98/SE?)

Larry Samuels

Play nice!!

Carey quotes the letter of the EULA and OEM Licensing agreement while others
of us base our comments on the *intent* of said agreements.

Both views are valid until such time as a court decides a case.

--
Larry Samuels Associate Expert
MS-MVP (2001-2005)

Beast-of-Burden

Right on David...why not try to save the op some money..possibly?

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Don't you think you should check that it is illegal before reccommending a
large expenditure of money - $484.05 in Australia.

Essoc

Wesley said:
Microsoft is not infallible and neither is their software.

I just opened a folder, clicked Help, clicked Is this copy of Windows legal?
and got this...

[[We’re sorry, but there is no Microsoft.com Web page that matches your
entry. It is possible you typed the address incorrectly, or the page may no
longer exist. ]]
http://www.microsoft.com/library/er...ath=/resources/howtotell/windows/default.aspx

Just like the instructions here...

You cannot download Windows Genuine Advantage updates on a Windows XP-based
computer that you purchased from an Original Equipment Manufacturer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914225

They can't even keep that straight. LOL

Install again, of course.

Plato

Burn your important data to cd. Wipe the drive. Install the real windows
fresh. Copy your important data back to HDD afterwards. Easy as pie.

This answer is very clear, but I have one further question. Is there a "Full
Version" of the Academic variety of XP Professional? I would rather not spend
more than necessary and I qualify for Academic products.

Ghostrider

bawesome said:
This answer is very clear, but I have one further question. Is there a "Full
Version" of the Academic variety of XP Professional? I would rather not spend
more than necessary and I qualify for Academic products.

There are both "Full Version" and "Upgrade Version" of Windows XP Pro
at academic pricing. At least in our university bookstore.

Patrick Keenan

bawesome said:
This answer is very clear, but I have one further question. Is there a
"Full
Version" of the Academic variety of XP Professional? I would rather not
spend
more than necessary and I qualify for Academic products.

They are available.

However, be sure that you have a full backup done *before* doing the repair
install to change the key, and be aware of what apps you have installed.
If possible, image the drive before starting any of the process.

The reason for this is that there is a condition that can be triggered by
changing the key and doing a repair install can put you into a loop where
the activation is invalidated, fresh activation is required to boot into
Windows, but activation is not possible.

You *should* get to a dialog where you're offered a phone number and a place
to enter the key the person will give you, but in this condition that dialog
never appears. Re-running the repair does not change this.

The only practical way I've found out of this is wiping the drive and
starting over.

HTH
-pk