Bargain Burnout Paradise: Ultimate FREE!!!!!!!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Nice link reef, can't beat free :)

However....

It won't run for me, the game crashes.

First you have to download EA's install manager and sign up to their games store, obviously giving your name, address, e-mail and phone number. You don't, for this game, have to give credit or debit card details. EA only spam me about three times a month and as far as I know the install manager is harmless but thought I'd mention it anyway.

After a very confusing purchase sequence it took an hour to download. Then it downloaded and installed a patch.

And on starting, it crashed.

I'm running XP SP3 all latest motherboard drivers on this machine. I upgraded Nvidia video drivers to V260.99, checked I had latest audio drivers (I have), installed all latest Microsoft security updates and defragged. It's worth mentioning that Avast Anti-Virus blocked the installation of the Nvidia drivers, identifying them as Malware so I had to temporarily disable Avast (and am now also considering going back to Antivir).

I lowered the screen resolution and disabled anti-aliasing and still the game won't start, I just get that Window telling me 'has encountered a problem etc....'

This game, incidentally, costs £4.45 from Play.com inc postage.

So, nice sentiments reef but for me I've just wasted some time for nothing. The game is supposed to run ok on XP or Vista according to tech spec.

If anybody else has any luck with this, please let us know here, thanks.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
This is about as far as I have got
wallbash.gif

Untitled.jpg

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Update, I've managed to get the game running.

I lowered the res another notch to 1064 x 768 and I also closed Steam from running in the background, not sure which one worked.

It won't recognise my Logi wireless gamepad though and playing a driving game on the keyboard is like having a bath with your boots on. I may plug the Xbox gamepad in and see if it recognises that.

The game itself? Good car handling, absolute arcade, good fun and completely awful graphics.

I can't play this without using a gamepad though so we shall see.

Also worth mentioning that as the game is downloaded and installed through EA's download manager there is no executable file that can be opened on another machine so I'm guessing the game is restricted to one machine.

And if a hard disk crashes, will EA let you download again any games you've purchased through their download manager.

I don't want to appear ungrateful to reef, it's a freebie but for a 2008 game it's giving all the characteristics of a game made in 2001.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
And finally...

The game won't run at anything higher than 1064 x 768 and won't recognise either of my gamepads so it's goodbye Burnout: Paradise City which is a shame cos it seemed quite good.

Maybe I'll try it on the Xbox if I see it cheap.

attachment.php

Attachments

• gamepads.jpg
    gamepads.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 2,894

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I'm still getting no further than my previous post

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Its running maxed out on everything fine for me. I just love doing the crashes down every road, best part of the game!

I've got it on 1920x1080 no probs

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well, these are my machine spec:

Asus M2N-sli motherboard.
Athlon AM2 dual core 3.2Ghz stock speed.
2Gb memory
Nvidia 9800GT 512Mb
Win XP SP3
All latest updates, software and drivers, plenty of Hard Disk space.

Bit of a mystery :confused:

Reef, are you using a gamepad or wheel or a keyboard?

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
been using keyboard, need to get a 360 pad on the go for sure though, definatly a pad game!

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Also once you've downloaded and installed the game you can just uninstall the EA downloader tool, though its completely harmless and doesnt run unless you open up the ea download manager itself.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Update: I have a gamepad working with this game now, here's how I done it:

First, update gamepad drivers if they need it. If you're using an Xbox controller this is done via Windows update.

With your gamepad plugged in start Burnout Paradise, log into EA when prompted and get through the preliminary crap, until it lets you press ESC and F2 and F2 again to get to the settings. In controls settings, try pressing a button and see if your controller appears. (It probably won't, if it's not already showing)

Here is the trick to getting this game to see a controller that's actually right there. Click (with your mouse) on Keyboard and accept the prompt to reset it to defaults. Now click to change a key mapping and then press a button on your gamepad.

I'm using a Logi wireless gamepad and you then either set gamepad to default settings or set individual buttons/hi-hat/pads to individual commands of your choice.

Presto! Your gamepad should now show up in the list of active controllers.

The game is insanely fast and imo insanely hard. Terrific sense of speed, absolute freedom to drive where you like including train tracks and spectacular crashes. But so far I've tried lots of challenges, all different types, and have been totalled in every one. I keep losing and haven't gained a single point.

They say practice makes perfect, we shall see but if it keeps happening I lose constantly it is severely going to cheese me off and this game will be wiped.

I haven't tried motor cycles yet and I haven't tried upping the screen resolution again.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
On the PS3 i done virtually everything you could do on burnout paradise, got me burnout licence. With each licence upgrade the tasks get alot hard, along with the skill of the computer. You can unlock some very kool cars which go from extremely strong to insanely fast where you can see what your doing anymore!

Ask a Question