Building New System - Can I Use OEM OS

witp_turns

I'm going to build a new system with some parts new and some from my
old machine. The old machine runs Win98 and I would like to move to
WinXP.

I see OEM versions of XP available with the online retailer I'm buying
most of my parts from. Will this version work with my new system?

Here's a link to the OEM software I was considering:

http://tinyurl.com/exjyf

Ghostrider

I'm going to build a new system with some parts new and some from my
old machine. The old machine runs Win98 and I would like to move to
WinXP.

I see OEM versions of XP available with the online retailer I'm buying
most of my parts from. Will this version work with my new system?

Here's a link to the OEM software I was considering:

http://tinyurl.com/exjyf

AFAIK, yes. You are the OEM builder and the OEM software is
being bought, hopefully, with the requisite part, such as a
CPU, motherboard, memory card, or whatever. (BTW, the audio
cable mentioned as the required part is, IMO, stretching the
requisite just a tad).

RobertVA

I'm going to build a new system with some parts new and some from my
old machine. The old machine runs Win98 and I would like to move to
WinXP.

I see OEM versions of XP available with the online retailer I'm buying
most of my parts from. Will this version work with my new system?

Here's a link to the OEM software I was considering:

http://tinyurl.com/exjyf

Insufficient data. Have to know things like processor model/speed, Main
RAM amount and space available on hard drive to determine if system
meets the operating system's minimum specifications at
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/evaluation/sysreqs.mspx . It's a
good idea to equip the system to significantly excede the minimum
specifications.

For information on verifying the authenticity of Microsoft software see
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/default.mspx .

Bob Willard

I'm going to build a new system with some parts new and some from my
old machine. The old machine runs Win98 and I would like to move to
WinXP.

I see OEM versions of XP available with the online retailer I'm buying
most of my parts from. Will this version work with my new system?

Here's a link to the OEM software I was considering:

http://tinyurl.com/exjyf
The only difference AFAIK between an OEM XP CD and a Retail XP CD of
the same version is support. If you buy a PC from VendorX which includes
an OEM XP CD, then VendorX is responsible for supporting XP; if it includes
a Retail XP CD, then M$ is responsible for support; note that neither
VendorX (for the OEM CD) or M$ (for the Retail CD) will give you unlimited
support for free.

If you build the PC yourself and you buy the OEM XP CD to use with it, then
*you* are the OEM; and, when there is a problem or question with XP, the
support call is *very* local.

BarryG

What makes this an illegal OEM disk? It looks OK in the picture, just like
the one I got from my parts retailer when I last built a PC.

Just curious.

Larry Samuels

Look at the CD key. No COA (certificate of authenticity).
The CD key for an OEM copy is *on* the COA.

--
Larry Samuels Associate Expert
MS-MVP (2001-2005)

Ctal

Larry said:
That is not a legal copy of OEM software at that link.
Check here and compare with that version:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

--
Larry Samuels Associate Expert
MS-MVP (2001-2005)
Unofficial FAQ for Windows Server 2003 at
http://pelos.us/SERVER.htm
Expert Zone- www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone<[email protected]>
wrote in message

Good catch Larry. If you follow the FAQ link on that page they state
this one desn't come with a COA. They offer an "OEM Full Pack" as well
which does come with a COA. It's $5 more. I hadn't read that yet,
thanks for the heads up. Sounds like I need to buy the full pack
instead of the one pictured in the link.

Malke

Ctal said:
Good catch Larry. If you follow the FAQ link on that page they state
this one desn't come with a COA. They offer an "OEM Full Pack" as
well
which does come with a COA. It's $5 more. I hadn't read that yet,
thanks for the heads up. Sounds like I need to buy the full pack
instead of the one pictured in the link.

Actually, it sounds like you need to buy your OEM disk from a reputable
source instead. Anyone who would offer an OEM disk without a COA is not
reputable.

Malke

Ghostrider

Larry said:
Look at the CD key. No COA (certificate of authenticity).
The CD key for an OEM copy is *on* the COA.

Good observation. Actually, one does not know what is
exactly being sold. What the picture shows is different
from what is written in the text. IIRC, a retail version
of Windows OS typically comes with the orange PK label
while the OEM version has the flowery OEM COA label.

Larry Samuels

Yes, but retail also includes a COA on the box. Without the COA you have no
license.