Building a PC

Reaction score
Sounds confusing...

I do have a few friends who've built PCs themselves though, one of them wrote a 14 page guide on how to do it...

I'll just get one of them round to help me if I get stuck/blow myself up :)

Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the anti-static tip.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/113965 - Is this definitely a good motherboard, and will it definitely work with the other components? I haven't heard any real recommendations for one, and I can't find the one in your picture, floppy.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've done some more 'research' now. I think this is pretty much what I'm going to order:

Memory: www.ebuyer.com/product/98710

Corsair 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL5(5-5-5-12) Heat Spreader Lifetime Warranty

Graphics Card: www.ebuyer.com/product/139108

Xpertvision 8800GT 512MB 256bit Dual DVI HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card

Hard Drive: www.ebuyer.com/product/131300

Seagate ST3250310AS 250GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 8MB Cache - OEM

CD/DVD Drive: www.ebuyer.com/product/132560

LG GSA-H55NBAL 20x DVDRW/DL/RAM IDE Black Bare Drive - OEM

PSU: www.ebuyer.com/product/114929

Antec Basiq Power 500W ATX 12V PSU

Motherboard: www.ebuyer.com/product/113965

ASUS P5B Socket 775 Core 2 ready P965 chipset onboard audio ATX

Case: www.ebuyer.com/product/118268

Antec Nine Hundred – Gaming case with 200mm top fan – No PSU

Processor: www.ebuyer.com/product/130484

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz 1333FSB Socket 775 4MB Cache

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
All looking good, but:

The core 2 duo 6600 is almost as fast as the 6750 and is a damn sight cheaper. You'd be hard pushed to tell the difference in speed between the two.

In terms of reliability, all these makes of Power Supply are better than the Antec: Corsair; Enermax; Tagan; OCZ; Seasonic.

So if it were me, I'd save money on the CPU and spend more on the PSU. In fact I expect those makes of CPU I've listed cost the same as the Antec, so I'd spend the saved cash on a decent CPU cooler like the Noctua U12F.

But that's just me, it's your call.

Other than that, looking good :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ok, I should have done my homework :D

I swear the 6600 was cheaper at one point :confused:

And yes, the 6750 with the EVGA board would seem to be the better option.

EVGA make good motherboards but bear in mind that board is a budget option of theirs.

Reaction score
Ok, thanks.

Also, now I'm still spending the same price for the processor, but £5 more for the mobo, should I still consider getting a different PSU?

Also, could you recommend a good-looking, decent case that's around £30-£40? The Antec 900 is great but £70 is just too much for me really.

And by 'budget option'..what are the downsides of that?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Twazzock said:
Ok, thanks.

Also, now I'm still spending the same price for the processor, but £5 more for the mobo, should I still consider getting a different PSU?

Also, could you recommend a good-looking, decent case that's around £30-£40? The Antec 900 is great but £70 is just too much for me really.

And by 'budget option'..what are the downsides of that?

I'm afraid I'm only human and my patience is finite.

I have given what I consider to be good advice and I wish you well with your build.

You can either:

a) Wait for somebody else here to advise you and hope they have more patience than me.

b) Let your friend advise you, the one who has such a strong view about Intel vs AMD.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
If you check out the link I gave ,

http://support.asus.com/download/do...us&model=M2N32-SLI Deluxe&type=map&mapindex=2

You will see its the Asus page for the P5B mobo . On the left of the page you will see a link, cpu support , follow this and it will tell you all the cpus that are compatible with the mobo . Nearly all manufacturers do a similar thing .

happywave.gif

Ask a Question